• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need CPU Help PLzzzzz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Need help in choosing from the following:

All boxed type Althlon processors, (3 yr warr)
1.2GHZ
1.33GHZ
xp1500 (1.4GHZ)
Local Frys does not carrie any more T-Birds under 1.3GHZ
(#@%^*...........)
Need "Reliable" place to purchase.

I remember something about the 1.33 not being very good overclockers, but can't find it anymore on O/C.com.
Looked in the database too.:(
Don't know if I want to mess with the XP's pits. I use a conductive pen to unlock my bridges.

Thanks in advance.
;)

Last edited:
What criteria are you using to choose ? Price, performance, OC ability ?

Give us some factors / limits and we'll make some suggestions.

It's always fun to help someone spend money :) .

Budget minded,...$130 range-
Most time spent gaming, some business, internet surfing, more gaming..... DF3 ROCKS!:burn:
Need a "stable, reliable" sys. (wife uses it too)
Had a T-Bird that die from PS serge (makes nice key chain :( )
Fairly easy to O/C, have conductive pen, semi-steady hands, a PEP66(mod'd), using a YS 26cfm , and a pabst? 40cfm.(heheheheh) temps range right now about 107F loaded.

The XP 1500+ is your best bet. Without the unlocking trick - which can be a bit tricky, the XP's will not OC via multipliers - however you can OC by increasing your FSB.

Well, $130 can buy you ALOT of CPU right now.

I'd recommend www.newegg.com for purchases. I've gotten lots of stuff there and never had problems, even when I've had to return something. Fast order processing and fast shipping as well.

They have an XP 1600+ for $128 plus shipping. That's the best CPU for under $130, but there are tons of choices below that. You can get an Athlon 1.4 with choice steppings for around 120 - 130 which would most likely yield good OC results. Or you could get a 'regular' Athlon or even a Duron for much less.

Only problem with the XPs are those bridges, but depending on your mobo, you can FSB overclock and get good speeds.

If spending $130 was not an issue, I'd get the 1600+ and FSB overclock that baby. Then, when someone has a good way to unlock the multiplier, do that. There have actually been some good ideas / techniques for unlocking the XPs posted here so you might check those out as well and see if you are up to that.

Hope that helps.

DB

:burn: FANTASTIC !!!
Learn something new every day....lol.
Thanks. It's VERY helpful !!!
Just purchased my Iwill KK266+ about a month ago. FSB o/c should be good. Poor little Duron doesn't like the high FSB right now, but it's stable (and slow-small cache)

It's like a small block engine compared to a BIG BLOCK.......
There AIN'T no replacement for DISPLACEMENT .:burn:

Thanks again.

Back