• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5b-D sucks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
well, just got mine today and i was impressed with it up until i booted the damn thing!
came w/bios dated 8/10/06
booted it up to 300fsb w/everything set to auto and the thing froze during xp install, iv been messing with diff bioses and such and it looks like it takes 1.35v and like the newest bios to be stable @ 360fsb..which is still freakin lowwwwww..so yeah what am i doin wrong?!
iv turned off spread spectrum and most of the crap i can think of

well umm install windows at stock then start ocing the machine.
what ratio's are you running on the ram and timings? what are the voltages set at for the mch and stuff?

Evilsizer said:
well umm install windows at stock then start ocing the machine.
what ratio's are you running on the ram and timings? what are the voltages set at for the mch and stuff?
timings are auto
mch and all that jazz are auto too, and from what i hear i shouldnt have to start messing with till i get to the 550ish fsb point

lol yeh right dont we all wish

550fsb ? are you nuts ? there's only like a handfull of people that got that with no mods nevermind with no voltage .

Look for 400 and then add volts if you hit a wall.

i would say raise the mch voltage by .5v, dunno why you complain about that fsb atleast your not stuck with 280fsb.

d94 - my p5b deluxe just passed dual 32m super pi at 458 fsb, i have ALL my volts manually set though, I can reboot and write them down if you like, you think that would help?

Last edited:
Killaapp said:
d94 - mine p5b deluxe just passed dual 32m super pi at 458 fsb, i have ALL my volts manually set though, I can reboot and write them down if you like, you think that would help?
That would be helpful.. And maybe the rest of your settings?

Set NB Voltage = 1.65, make sure you have decent cooling and low temps on the mobo.
Set FSB Term = 1.40
Disable TM2
Disable C1E

Try out the 0507 bios. Thats what I am using and I have been able to clock FSB anywhere from 300 to 515 with no problems at all.

Man, I must say I was shocked by viewing your thread title. Also, try removing the NB sink, checking for good contact and re-applying some AS5. Keep us posted.

dominick32 said:
Set NB Voltage = 1.65, make sure you have decent cooling and low temps on the mobo.
Set FSB Term = 1.40
Disable TM2
Disable C1E

Try out the 0507 bios. Thats what I am using and I have been able to clock FSB anywhere from 300 to 515 with no problems at all.

Man, I must say I was shocked by viewing your thread title. Also, try removing the NB sink, checking for good contact and re-applying some AS5. Keep us posted.
well, i kinda have to use the latest bios..my ram cant do more than 1050mhz or so, actually i turned all the crap off in the bios and set vcore to 1.35 and was able to run a few things in windows @ 480fsb without touching any other volts (other than memory ofcourse)

looks like i really do need to invest $$$ into new memory!

^^^^I'm experiencing the same problem with my ram and the P5B DLX. It took me 4 times to install windows without errors and BSOD's. I set my memory to 4:5 and it seemed to run fine for a while, but i had to leave so i won't know for sure until i get home and run some prime.

ok well i know this is a similar problem with the ab9 and windows install. did you bother installing all the Drivers with F6 at the start of the windows xp install? as installing the jmicron and intel and sil controller drivers were needed to no get a bsod. if installing all 3 drivers when tring to install windows xp , then i would start to think new mem or changed the ram ratio to 1:1. have you tried memtest at that speeds on the mem with that board?

Rattle said:
lol yeh right dont we all wish

550fsb ? are you nuts ? there's only like a handfull of people that got that with no mods nevermind with no voltage .

Look for 400 and then add volts if you hit a wall.

:D

I think he was looking for a two second 10 GHz OC. :p

The first thing you should do, is burn the MB in using memtest for about four hours.
Do not use any AUTO settings for voltages, instead, set them manually in the BIOS. You can take it from there. I hope you turned off Hyperpath under the chipset configuration menu?

I have a P5B-D and it seems that the board does not hold very true vcore to the settings in BIOS. Just a problem I noticed with it.

Last edited:
guys i had NP installing windows lol, this thread is purely about overclocking it
i think ill switch out the p5b-d for the ds3

thus far iv hit 480fsb unstable on 1.35v w/no changes to any other voltages
i think iv i had better ram i could go further on this board
oh and the newest beta is the best ocing bios for me

d94 said:
guys i had NP installing windows lol, this thread is purely about overclocking it
i think ill switch out the p5b-d for the ds3

thus far iv hit 480fsb unstable on 1.35v w/no changes to any other voltages
i think iv i had better ram i could go further on this board
oh and the newest beta is the best ocing bios for me

The problem is that V droops.. did you measure 1.35V with a DMM?

Epox4life said:
I have a P5B-D and it seems that the board does not hold very true vcore to the settings in BIOS. Just a problem I noticed with it.

Been testing with heatsinking those right side mosfets and the vdroop was improved significantly. You should give it a try.

Back