• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad-SLI WC - Enough heat capacity in this system or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grayscale

Registered
Original thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=476040

Just to summarize...

1/4" high pressure Tygon WC system

Pump: 396 gph, 19' head

Rad 1: 2x80mm Black Ice Micro + Vantec Tornado 168 cfm + intake air

Rad 2: 1x80mm Black Ice Micro + Vantec Tornado 84 cfm + exaust air

Res > Pump > Rad 1 > Lower GPUs > Upper GPUs > Rad 2 > North Bridge > Memory > Res

All blocks are on components which are overclocked with extra voltage. No CPU on this loop.

I want to know what you guys think about this setup... think it's got the heat capacity? It's very high pressure w/ good CFM throughput, but the radiators aren't very big (total 3x80mm) and there's 4 GPUs, so I'm a bit worried.

Just to rectify, a big point of this setup was for cleanliness, not so much raw cooling power, as just isn't a whole lot of room in this case. I was hoping to make up for the small index with pressure...

Last edited:
Additional math to consider... (theoretical)

1x120mm radiator - 14,400 cm^2 - 33% less surface area

3x80mm radiator - 19,200 cm^2 - 252 cfm - 0.013125 cfm/cm^2

2x120mm radiator - 28,800 cm^2 - 33% more surface area

Based on this, a single 120mm fan radiator would need a 336 CFM fan to equal the proposed setup, and a double 120mm fan radiator would need two 84 CFM fans.

I'm not sure if the math is right, but I think it is...

I highly doubt you'll cool quad SLI along with NB and memory (why memory?) with 1/4" tubing.

BTW, what pump have you listed?

That system probably could cool the graphic system and the nb, but why are you using 1/4" tubing, and why are you colling the memory?

Memory doesn't really need much cooling except a bit of air, but this entire system is on case radiators so the air circulating will probably be very warm so I wanted to include it.

DangerDen is developing a 1/2" 7950GX2 block, but currently the only one released that's compatible with Quad-SLI is AquagraFX. I hear it works very well, and it's very small fittings, so I'm inclined to think it will work better than you'd think on low ID fittings. The pump, NB block, and memory coolers are all also designed for the same tubing.

The pump is an Alphacool AP1510. 19' of head should be able to push through all these blocks and radiators, almost 400 gph should make up for the fact that it's 1/4" I'm hoping. It's all compression fittings as well, so I don't think leaks will be an issue.

Back