• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't load windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stoner51

My kids computer crashed due to a virus and a lot of spyware. I tried to get rid of both with little luck. So I thought the easiest thing to do would be to reformat HDD and then reload windows. I have a Maxtor 80 gb drive that came with the computer(gateway) I have the windows disk. but when I turn on the computer it won't just start loading. When I reformatted I set disk up as additional storage. Would that make any diff. I used maxblast 4. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Yes, as additional storage there is no active partition to boot from. If you have an XP disk just use it to boot and reformat or use fdisk to make it active.

OK maybe this is not a HDD problem. I bought a wd ide drive and cannot get windows to load the PSU kicks in but nothing happens, fan on cpu runs DVD drive will work but will not boot with the xp disk in. Also there are no lights on the keyboard. I have removed batt. tried everything I can think of. any advice

Stoner51 said:
OK maybe this is not a HDD problem. I bought a wd ide drive and cannot get windows to load the PSU kicks in but nothing happens, fan on cpu runs DVD drive will work but will not boot with the xp disk in. Also there are no lights on the keyboard. I have removed batt. tried everything I can think of. any advice
You have to go into the BIOS and set the DVD drive as the Boot Device. The computer is trying to boot off of a drive (the new HD) and there is nothing on it. After you finish formatting/installing windows, don't forget to go back into the BIOS and set the new HD with windows on it as the boot device.

You could then reinstall the old drive, reformat it, and use it for additial storage

Back