• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick an aftermarket cooler for my 7900gs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BossBorot

Im to indesisive to pick between these coolers. They are listed in asending order according to price.

Also I dont have to pay shipping from svc so if you link prices elsewhere they better come out to cheaper after shipping then the svc prices or else its not worth your efforts.

1) ARCTIC COOLING NV SILENCER 5 REV. 2
this is the cheapest of the bunch but wont cover the memory chips completely.

2) ARCTIC COOLING NV SILENCER 5 REV. 3
this one is 5 bucks more then the rev 2 but will cover the memory chips correctly

3) ARCTIC COOLING ACCELERO X1
I'm pretty sure this wont fit due to hight issues on the pcb :bang head . Has anyone has tried this? Its only 2 bucks more then the rev 3 so if it worked... If anyone got the X1 to fit on a 7900gt then this would prob fit my 7900gs as well.

4) ZALMAN VF700-ALCU LED
The led version is cheaper then the normal version :confused: so I listed this one instead.

5) ZALMAN VF700-CU LED
Again the led version is cheaper :confused: is this worth the extra 3 bucks vs the copper core and Al fin version?

6) ZALMAN VF900-CU PURE COPPER
This is the mac daddy of vga coolers but is it worth 40 bucks?

I tend to favor price/performance so please think along those lines in your replys. If the cheapest one will keep temps low and overclock well I'll just get that but if the other more expensive versions bring more to the table then I get that instead.

Also all of these models are quite enough for me so you dont have to worry about noise.

Note: any info basied on the 7800 and 7900 would help alot as temps, psb, and relative overclocks would give me a good idea what each could do.

Thanks in advance :beer:

edit: also this is for a single card so the size and airflow issues inherent due to SLI are not applicable in my desision

Last edited:
Someone, I cant remember who and dont feel like looking, got a rev 2 to work on his woot 7900gs with minor modifications but he said that the ram chips were not fully covered. I am guessing that the rev 3, but have nothing to substantiate this with, will cover the ram chips properly as it is intended as a revision to accommodate the 7800 series which has a similar layout to the 256mb 7900 pcb. Again this is just my assumption and is a reason I am asking. It's #3 that I have no clue if it will work or not.

Thanks for the imput though anything helps :beer:

#1 fits fine on the 7900gs. I am running it. That only problem is that the ram coolers site half way on 3 of the 6 chips. It seems to work fine though.

Back