• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help with a bad MOBO bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkcow

ok, so the ram i got here is supposedly ddr400. but every time i boot up this computer the computer detects it as ddr333 and that is severly hindering this cpu's performance.

so basicly what i want to accomplish here is to make this ram run in ddr400.

my options in this HORRIBLE bios.

DRAM Timing by SPD>Auto or Disabled
.....DRAM CAS# Latency> 2.5 or 3.0 (im going to leave this at 3.0
.....DRAM Bank Interleave> Disabled or 2 way or 4 way (what is this. i don't know really, i tried googling, but i still don't know what to put it on)

CPU Ratio> Locked at 15
CPU Overclocking Func.> Disabled or Enabled
.....CPU Overclocking Freq> 200-235 (further proving this mobo is horrible, i believe this is my FSB)
DRAM Frequency> Auto or CPU-66 or CPU-33 or CPU+0
(this is what's getting me. what do these mean. i've never seen it before)

specs:

3.0ghz northwood HT = good
1 GB ultra ddr400 ram = horrible. doesn't even run in dual channel, im going to suggest he buy some new ram ASAP.
mobo SY-P4VTE = horrible. 30 bucks on sale because his other mobo broke. SY-P4VTE again. im going to force him to buy a new one.
Geforce 7600 GS AGP = an amazing overclocking GPU. i mean.. i've never seen a graphics card overclock so far.
psu = ultra x-connect. not the best so i don't plan on overclocking this CPU far. so he's going to keep it.

Try setting the DRAM Frequency to CPU+0. This is the CPU:RAM ratio, the CPU-66 setting (if I'm reading it correctly) would be what's causing it to run at 333 (400 - 66).

You can also set the CAS Latency to 2.5 if that's what your memory is rated for.

yes, that's probably what it is.

but when i set it to cpu+0 my computer decieds to be completly unstable and last time i tried it my Windows OS got super corrupted.

but ill try it again and this time i won't boot into Windows. only memtest.

and btw. this ram is at 3.0 its that bad.

edit: im currently running memtest on -33. im too scared to boot into windows with this settings (due to the fact i don't want corrupted files) but so far after test #3 it seems to be holding its own. but we shall see.

edit2: ok, now im running memtest on cpu+0. im not going to boot into windows before i know its stable. i only let the -33 go through one pass because im too lazy. but with cpu+0 im going to let it run for a good amount of time.

edit3: ok, the ram produced some errors after only 20 mins or so. and by some errors i mean over 2000 and it was gaining 15 or so every second. im going to RMA this pos and see if it comes back fixed (hooray lifetime warrenty. the only thing ultra did correctly.)

is there any 3rd party program that works inside windows to change ram timings? because there is only 1 option in this bios for ram timings. and it detects my ram at 3-3-3-7 when it should be 3-3-3-8 which could cause a problem. im going to. infact. probably make the timings even looser if need be to overclock this cpu some.

Last edited:
ok, well, i think i have this computer running at its optimum right now. but its still pretty damn ****ty.

ok. my 3d-mark 05 score is a horrible 3000ish. its horrible. i can't believe it almost. it must be more than that. or am i imagining things?

what is going on there? i'm pretty darn sure everest is correct. but what does this mean?

is there any way to speed things up here?

also. i stuck an XFX 6600 GT stock heat sink on the 7600gs. but the wire was too short. so i had to do 3 splices to get it to fit. is this bad? it did lower the temps a lot. its actually cooler than my 6600gt with a vf-700 cu on it. but could it be stressing the GPU's electricity?

Back