• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mgoode

okay I finally got tired of waiting for a decent Conroe motherboard and bought the DFI infifnty on sale from the Egg. I have been playing around with my X6800 and am runing at 3.7 with 1.4 volts. this idles at around 37c but when i prime it gets up to 57c. Do i need a new waterblock since I have had this one since my skt478 ocing days. I know the etreme editions put out more heat but a 20c difference between load and idle seems like a lot. I can run this puppy at 4ghz for superpi and benches but just dont want the heat. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
As long as you keep your temps below 65c, you should be fine. A new waterblock wouldn't hurt. Keep in mind, the Conroes are VERY well built chips able to take high tempertures, high voltage, and high clocks without affecting stability. My E6700 (On the way) Took 73c @ 3.75ghz @ 1.62v w/o crashing. The Conroe is built like a rock :). Nice build btw.

Thanks for the 411. I really like this setup the temps are just alot different from my AMD setup. When I got my Swifttech 775 retention bracket it states in bold letters to make sure you use the Stepped waterblock which I dont have. I am thinking about a Storm, oh well..(heads to watercooliing section:) )

I am not too sure about DFI temp readings- My DFI would instantly go from like 30-50 as soon as I started prime or whatever. When I stopped it would instantly drop. Onboard Temperature sensors are inaccurate @ the most.

These high temps are very normal for conroe processors on stock air/stock heatsink,fan. Either put on a waterblock or step up to phase. The intel thermal tool and core temp proggies are what I relied on for temps when I was on stock air. I saw around 61*C load under 2.66 ghz OC'ed. Under 3.0 ghz I saw 57*C idle.... :mad:

Thats why there is a phase change setup on my conroe now. My temps sit right around -35*C actual, and -45*C evaporator probed.. lol

dominick32 said:
These high temps are very normal for conroe processors on stock air/stock heatsink,fan. Either put on a waterblock or step up to phase. The intel thermal tool and core temp proggies are what I relied on for temps when I was on stock air. I saw around 61*C load under 2.66 ghz OC'ed. Under 3.0 ghz I saw 57*C idle.... :mad:

Thats why there is a phase change setup on my conroe now. My temps sit right around -35*C actual, and -45*C evaporator probed.. lol

You didn't read my first post, I am on water. I never had a proc jump 20c with my water setup. How much is a Vapochill? Is it safe to have with kids in the house?

nikhsub1 said:
Use this tool to check your temps... it is the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool. http://www.anonforums.com/builds/TAT.zip

I get an error when I try to run this tool, but I just downloaded coretemp from XS.

mgoode said:
You didn't read my first post, I am on water. I never had a proc jump 20c with my water setup. How much is a Vapochill? Is it safe to have with kids in the house?

I get an error when I try to run this tool, but I just downloaded coretemp from XS.

Sorry man. My mistake completely, I just read through and saw your high temperatures. I never thought they would be so high on water. Vapochill is about $1000 new, and about $400 to 600 used. My best investment yet.

As far as safety, its like running an extra refrigerator in your house. The electric bill is the only thing I would worry about. As far as CPU/MOBO safety. The vapochills mounting system and insulation is excellent, and if you do the installation properly you wont have any condensation worrys either.

Good luck in getting better temps. These conroes definitely run hot..:mad:

I would recommend going phase as well. It was my best investment I had ever made as well. Chilly1 has taken his sweet time to get my unit done / shipped, it's one of the worst investments I've made.

If you waited so long for a decent Conroe MB, why finally go with the DFI, as it's one of the poor clocking 975X boards....

At any rate, good luck with setup an post some benchmarks for us.

RangerXLT8 said:
If you waited so long for a decent Conroe MB, why finally go with the DFI, as it's one of the poor clocking 975X boards....

At any rate, good luck with setup an post some benchmarks for us.

Well from what I have read here and on XS all the 975x boards have issues. I am still waiting for a decent conroe Motherboard:) , but was tired of my chip just sitting on the shelf. The DFI was on sale and it will hold me for now.I am actually pretty happy with this board so far
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=118269

Thermal spec is like 60C for the center top of the IHS..
No software is going to give you that temp, but coretemp will give you the temps of the cores wich should be considerbly warmer then the top of the IHS.
Ill likely just adjust temps for when the CPU thottles (assume it throttles around thermal spec and whatever tool your using to monitor temps keep it below that temp) and go with what clocks and Vcore that are stable under load.
from what Ive seen you might have to hit 85C with core temp to see one of these CPU's trottle.

Back