• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

THERE IS A GOD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even if I had the money - I wouldn't bother with it until there was one supporting the SATAII bus.

Hey, for 4x the price of a raptor, you can get 10x the performance.

Only downside is the memory. I'd need AT LEAST two. Isn't windows XP Pro like 5 GB on install, and generally ends up around 7-10 GB from age?

Janglur said:
Hey, for 4x the price of a raptor, you can get 10x the performance.

Only downside is the memory. I'd need AT LEAST two. Isn't windows XP Pro like 5 GB on install, and generally ends up around 7-10 GB from age?

Using nLite to strip out crap, I can get a full Windows XP install well below 2gb. (all Windows Updates included)

I believe it's usually a little over 4 by the time Windows Updates are done though.

But you could just get 2gb sticks

You missed the boat on this a while ago...it's been around (and people have been generally unimpressed) for quite a while.

I mean, it's 4GB. What can you do with that space?

Darn when i saw this I thought that they released a much needed revision that i have been praying for.

I want a ddr2 version that supports up to 8gb with possibly a lithium ion battery. Oh well I can dream 4gb isn't quite enough but 8 would suit me just fine.

Would be a nice fast Page file drive but i dont even run a page file so i wouldnt even need it.

Using your actual RAM for the pagefile, though, wastes ram. Massively.

This lets you buy much cheaper RAM for use, and still makes it more than fast enough for a huge boost.

I'm using 391 MB right now with only this, winamp, and Trillian running. That's a lot of memory to waste. That goes up to a maximum of 1.1 GB when i'm gaming and stuff.
I don't wanna spend $200+ on a GIG of ram just for my pagefile, thankyouverymuch. I'd rather spend $120 for an IRAM, then $80 for a gig of cheap memory, and get a similarly good effect, and free more of the precious RAM I have now.

johan851 said:
You missed the boat on this a while ago...it's been around (and people have been generally unimpressed) for quite a while.

I mean, it's 4GB. What can you do with that space?
I haven't been unimpressed.
An nLited XP Pro install (.9GB w/o page file) fits just fine and is screaming fast.
A comparison with a dual 74GB Raptor RAID0 array...
mini-SprocDrives.jpg

Note the access time.
Or lack thereof, actually.

It's also dead silent- an unexpected but most welcome benefit.

Your Raptor array is suffering as it is a secondary. Actually the Raptors compete fairly well with the I-Ram.

Attachments

• Raid0 Raptors.JPG
    Raid0 Raptors.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 213
The iram could be greatly improved if gigabyte took the time to do it. Currently it only works at 150mb/s sata which is the main bottleneck of the thing* due to limitations in the chips used. That, the density, and a hope that they release something better are the only things keeping me back.

*which is the reason that the relative mhz rating of the memory that you use matters little on the iRam.

Random Access: 0.0 vs 8.3 = no competition
Of course, three Raptors will give you a higher sunstained transfer rate and 222GB as opposed to 4GB for cheaper...:D

this is like reving thread from the dead, but ****, they better come out with some upgrade soon... imagine with higher bandwith allow

PC 5200 DDR2
8GB

holy ****. u can just see the smoke comming out of that thing lol. that would be enough for me 8GB is more than enough for window and tons of programs :)

The i-Ram has been out for almost a year now, and there are known limitations to it.

4 gig's is definatly not enough.

im waiting for someone to completely replace the hard-drive. and i mean completely. i HATE having to back-up files due to failing hard-drives.

I think that's somewhat worthless until a 8Gb or 12Gb compatable with SATAIII device comes out, that does not have enough space unless you just want to bump your PC mark scores... or if you need a huge pagefile due to ram restrictions.

$200 is wayy overpriced for that BTW. And this concept was invented... about 20 years ago.

Back