• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7600 GS v GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCor4D

I am going to be upgrading a few things in the next week or 2.

Im going to be upgrading to:
Core 2 Duo E6300
Abit AB9 Pro
2x1GB Patriot DDR2 667
*video card*

I am trying to save some money, so someone suggested that i go with the 7600GS (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814143054) for 88 bucks (plus a $10 MIR).

I started looking at some review sites between the 7600GS and GT and there seems to be a pretty big difference between them (atleast in their benchmarks.)

I am looking for some real world differences, would i notice any difference in games such as Guild Wars or WoW? Those 2 seem like they should be fine with the GS, but occationally i play some BF2, and Farcry. I run my games with 1280x1024 resolution and want something around mid to upper mid for the eyecandy.

I am going to be going from a XFX 6800GT (AGP), is this new card going to be worse, same, or better than what i have now?

I know i cant expect too much for a budget card, but with funds running tight, i figured i would buy a cheaper card now that could handle the games decently and upgrade down the road.

What is your budget for a video card?

The 7600gs will prob lose to your current agp card, which sadly you have to ditch to move to conroe, most of the time.

You could sell your 6800gt and spend the money on a new card if you dont plan on doing that already.

edit: also can you stand ATi cards? The deals on the x850xt have been mind blowingly good recently.

Well i went and found one of those x850xt for 95 (after MIR) and someone said that the GS was a better card than the ati.

Im not a fan boy, i go where the technology is, hence moving over to the conroe instead of an X2. As long as the price is right and the performance isnt going to kill me, i dont mind.

Out of curiosity what would a 6800gt (totally stock never been OCd before) sell for? I have had it for about 13-15 months (bought it last summer).

The only way that the 7600gs would be better is if your system cant handle the power draw of the x850xt. Also the x850xt will output more heat and noise, but that can be solved with an after market cooler.

Right now at the egg there are two 7600gt cards, one is called like a gts and has no SLI connector, for like 120 shipped AR. The performance of the 7600gs is nowhere near that of the x850xt over all, and the performance of the 7600gt and the x850xt are roughly similar. If the price of the 7600gt were the same as the x850xt I would say get it hands down due to the heat, power, and noise issues of the ATi card, however the x850xt is still cheaper.

Basically the 7600gs prob the best you can find for that price but for more you can get a better price/performance ratio, get this card if you dont think you can afford the others

The x850xt offers the best price/performance but has some issues related to heat, noise, and power consumption if you can deal with these issues this card is excelent

The 7600gt offers similar performance to the x850xt but does not have anywhere near as many issues that you would have to deal with.

Also the x850xt does not have shader model 3 but this means very little when you get down to it except on the top of the line cards where you want as many features as possible. In the mid range price/performance is what matters most.

The end desision is up to you none of them are bad cards you just have to find the right one for you.

Well hell, now i guess i should be looking into the x850xt... the price is decently close to the 7600GS (atleast for the low end that im looking at) and im pretty sure my Ultra 500w will be able to handle it. I might have to look for some better cooling.

Right now i dont have many fans in my case, 1x80mm in 1x80mm out, and a 120mm on my radiator. The 80mm fans are pretty low and my ambient case air is around 28c (ambient room is around 26c). My current 6800gt is running at 53c (idle), after playing some games for a while it will jump up around 68c which seems hotter than crap to me, but it seems to be accepting it well.

On a seperate note, im running dual monitors, i love the way that nvidia has their dualview, so that each monitor is seperate, i can drag stuff back and forth, but the task bar is only on 1 monitor. Does ATI have something similar for their dual monitor support? Im running dual analog monitors, so the single dvi doesnt matter all that much.

harakusara said:
Yeah GS's aren't worth it I had a 7800gs oc and I had trouble running WoW on very low settings.
lol thats funny i run FEAR on all high settings and HL2 maxed out.. no problems... and i have a 76gs...

One question for you TheCor4D,

Your (upcoming) system setup seems interesting: you are spending the big bucks on the Conroe + 965 and 2G ram and try to save on the video card? That will bottleneck your 3D performance greatly IMO.

Have you considered getting (waiting) for a Conroe + nForce SLI board so you can do SLI down the road (even if you get a crappy card now)? Anyways the 7900gs is coming out! :D

Also not sure if you do OC, but the 7600gs OC'ed can OUTPERFORM a stock 7600gt :)

im not buying the new system to play games as the primary function. I just want a video card that i can use to play games when i want to kill some time. I will be doing a lot of software development and photoshop work and the like on it, not all that graphic intensive.

With all that being said, im not going to overclock the video card at all, way back in the day i OCd my ti4200 and all things went to hell after about 3-4 months, so ever since then, they all stay stock so i keep my warranty :).

If 7900gs is coming out, does that mean they are going to lower the prices on the lower end cards like the 7600gt?

I hate to give up my perfectly running 6800gt that i bought last summer. It is still working without a hitch

TheCor4D said:
If 7900gs is coming out, does that mean they are going to lower the prices on the lower end cards like the 7600gt?

With the lanch of the 7900gs the retail price of the 7600gt is supposed to drop to 130 which is more expensive then some of the cheaper units out now if you look around enough. So basically we will see the price drop some overall but the lowest prices shouldnt fall to much from where they are now.

As I keep hearing more about how you plan to use this card it seems, at least to me, that the 7600gt would be the best fit even though the x850xt is cheaper. If you want to keep the warranty then you wont want to change the cooler and running the x850xt for just occasional gaming is not worth the power drain and noise. Just get the 7600gt and run it stock if you can afford it.

Also I would get the eVGA 7600gts, if you can accept not being able to upgrade to SLI, as you will have an excelent warranty and an option to step up your card within 90 days if something, dx10 cards for example, catches your eye.

Last edited:
In that case you might want to look at the 7600gs with DDR3 since they provide enough power for average gaming but cheaper than the gt.

Like other members are saying selling your 6800gt may be your best option, and you should hurry since newer cards are out and with 7600 going in agp...

Thanks for that recommendation on that evga card. I like the MIR too, it brings the price not that far off of what i was going to spend. So there are GS, GT, and GTS?? There are too damn many versions of these cards. From what i quickly read, they are pretty close to the GT series but they dont offer SLI is that why they are a little cheaper?

This damn video card has been the hardest thing to pick out. I seem to be back and forth everyday :p

I appreciate all the help that you guys are giving me :) :attn:

*EDIT*
Looking at mwave.comhttp://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA50730 they wrote that it is dual-dvi, looking at their picture, it actually is dual dvi, compared to the picture on newegg that is 1dvi 1vga... Im so confused...

No other boards actually really say anything about it. I just wish i could see the pipeline, is it 8, 12, 16??

Well for the same price (after MIR) i might go with this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143049 7600gt.

Last edited:
simcom said:
Like other members are saying selling your 6800gt may be your best option, and you should hurry since newer cards are out and with 7600 going in agp...

How much would my 6800gt sell for? I cant list it without a price on it :p

Well i see them going for $150 used. With silencers for about $165

theres a BFG listed on here for $175

GS's are on newegg for about $140 after MIR but the price is up to you. You can sell it for $1,000.000.000 or $0.50. i think with the price of a new GS that can unlock and be the same as a GT basicly $150-$160 is a good price for a used GT. You could even try to milk it for $170 if you got all the original packing and what not.

my guess is the ddr3 GS's and GTS are reject GT's but i could be wrong just something to think about

If you're going to sell it on ebay, just pick a starting price of $0.99 or so and let people bid on it. Generally, those who are bidding on it have an idea of what the market price is, and things will work themselves out. I just sold an old 120GB Western Digital HD(7200rpm) and Geforce FX5500 which sold for $41.00 and $20.55, respectively. Both had starting bids of $0.99 and I just ran it for the 7 day duration. Most times when I sell stuff like that, I end up getting the market price, or real close.

Back