• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help w/6800 gt artifacting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ofp plater

Registered
i recently moved and after moving and setting up my pc when hardware acccelleration is turned on at all(the higher it is on the worse it artifacts)it artifacts badly, especially on black backgrounds.it seems to artifact where the mouse was.i will upload pics of it tommorrow, but could the gfx card be ruined?. btw i have some hewlett packard mobo, antec 550 truepower psu.

the temp is 63 celcius, the card is stock, and the drivers ive been using for a long time are the 6.6.9.3

with no hard ware accel
my.php

this is with full hardware accel on:
my.php

63 idle? thats a little hot. im at 52c idle and my cards clocked at 370. and those temps are with my ac off in my room that feels like south america right now it so damn hot in here.

honestly i dont know what could be that issue. maybe you GART Drivers? im stumped thats the only thing i can think of at the moment.

im having the EXACT same problem. im interested to see what you find out. I thought it was my bios volt mod, so i reflashed to stock voltage bios and stock clocks, and while this helped stability, it still gets alot of artifacts even in 2d, exactly like you. I have a 6800GT AGP. im really frustrated!

An X800 XTPE did this to me just before it died...but thats an ATI card. I havent had anything like that happen to me on my 6800LE which for a while was at GT speeds with the pipes/shaders unlocked. Only on 3D performance after about an hour.

I had the exact same problem with my 6800GT. It would also give me the BSOD and tell me the device driver was in an infinite loop. It turned out it was my wireless networking. I uninstalled all of the wirless stuff and It worked fine after that. There must have been a memory issue somewhere. I'm not sayin this is your problem exactly but it is something else to look for.

bump, still artifacting with new driver installs of 66.93 and 61.xx or some thing like that, any more ideas?

ofp plater said:
bump, still artifacting with new driver installs of 66.93 and 61.xx or some thing like that, any more ideas?

A few things come to mind:
1. you say you just moved.. hmm. This in itself leads to a few questions. Is the ambient temp noticably warmer in your new place, leading to higher temps? Have you pulled the side off of your case to ensure that everything is still seated properly (card in slot, power connection to card, etc)?

2. when was the last time you cleaned out the heatsink on your card? Get a can of compressed air and blow out the cooler on the card, as well as the rest of your rig while you are at it.

3. download driver cleaner pro. Download some newer drivers (8x.xx or 9x.xx series drivers). Uninstall current drivers. Reboot. Boot into safe mode. Run driver cleaner pro to remove all remnants of old drivers. Reboot into normal windows. Install new drivers, and reboot as prompted after successful install.

chevro1et said:
A few things come to mind:
1. you say you just moved.. hmm. This in itself leads to a few questions. Is the ambient temp noticably warmer in your new place, leading to higher temps?

yeh, but he is artifacting in 2D :S. I reckon the card is buggered. Maybe it got a sharp knock during your move. I lost a pc in a house move many years ago and in the trips to and from uni, my pc does not like the travelling. The vibration cannot do it good.
His temps are fine, 63 idle which would be his 2D processing level, do not explain the artifacts. 63 is way too low to artifact. Im sure this problem isnt temperature related but merely that the card is on its way out because it has been physically damaged in some fashion.

Back