• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! need combo ideas ASAP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weponhead

Ok guys, my moms dell died and i need a case, mobo , proc, and memory that will work with 5 year old ATA drives at least so i can transfer the data to SATA drives. if someone could throw me together a cost effective combo i'd appreciate it greatly , im SO behind on the tech its sad, im just now getting back into it after 2 1/2 years. and i dont wanna go running around blind buying parts.

Thanks, she needs this box back up and running in 1-2 days , so parts i can pick up at a store / get overnighted are a big +++

J.C.

Well the first question will be how much do you want to spend?

The second will be for what is the computer used?

And last, would there ever be a need to upgade this computer?

you turn your old hard drive in an external usb disk.. that will be usefull and you will be able to transfert data to a sata drive

Just about any motherboard will accept 5 year old ATA drives. That's not an issue. A price guideline would be helpful though.

You can build a cheap system with a Celeron D 315, PCChips P4M800, PQI DDR400 RAM with a Raidmax case/w 380 watt PSU for $160. Not sure about the next day delivery though.

ok so i finally remembered i didnt reset the cmos , and i did , and it worked.. sooo yay for that, but i'd rather light this POS dell on fire than rebuild it quite frankly. really cost wasnt a factor so long as it was a good bit cheaper than a whole new box IE a couple hundred bux , and it is used for my mothers buisness which entails lots and lots of processing.. heh , she will bog down ANY computer you sit in front of her for a year. outlook and other 3'rd party programs running for her to program a system remotley at a client.. ETC ETC. the things dirt slow after 4 years, my computer is older than hers , and a lesser processor and it still runs alot faster.

Back