• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Its time to go conroe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shades_of_Me

Ok so i want to replace my mobo and cpu obviously going with a conroe but i have read so much that my brain feels like soup at the moment and i would just like to get a lear idea of what people agree is the best conroe board and cpu........thanks in advance

Hmm, the best? An X6800 with a P5W DH maybe? Don't have a problem with $1300+ do you?

Its all about $$$. The P5B Del + E6400/E6600 is a great choice though.

The best board "might" be the Abit AW9D Max due to arrive in another week or two. Right now there is no clear best mobo.

I've only had the chance to play with the P5B DLX/WIFI and the E6600 so far, aside from a trouble filled windows install and the need of some new memory to overclock this setup, i love it! Very fast and responsive chip, got to love that 4MB L2!!! Good luck with your purchase. :beer:

Phrenetical said:
the AW9D might be the best unless you want to use a sound card, or any kind of PCI peripheral...

then its useless.

The AW8D only has 1 PCI slot which is shared with the second 16X PCI-E slot. Apparently that bothers some people. I have no reason to add a PCI sound card. The audio that comes with the AW9D is similar to what I currently have in my AW8 and I'm very happy with it. It's nice and clean. The "onboard" audio is a Realtek codec but it's "onboard" via an Abit Audiomax daughtercard that plugs into it's own slot bottom left of the board.

the best mobo well it all depends you want sli/cf? you really care about spending money on P5B-DLX or P5W-DH. if you dont see needing sli or cf go with some like the gigabyte 965P-s or when its out soon the P5B-E board. both getting 450+ clocks while some 975 boards have trouble getting that high. comparing the 975 to 965 there is a bigger gap in performance with the same cpu then there was with 875vs865, i dont think intel wanted a repeat.
to help though with what you should look for , how much you want to spend on the cpu/mobo?

ok ur gonna want to go with an E6600 cus they have the 4mb chache i personally wouldnt go with an E6700 cus its not worth it over the e6600 seems as how they are all gettin to about the same ghz on air... as for mobo the sorta rumor is that the P5W dh is better for the 4mb chache chips and the P5B is better for the 2Mb chache chips... i have all the parts for my new rig becides my Asus P5W DH... which is comming in 2 days :)

its ur decission... but tons of ppl have had AWSOME results with a P5W/P5B and E6600...

Oh and as a side note my new rig will be as follows...
Lian Li V2000b Plus 2 (sooo much space!!!)
E6600 Retail - cooled by ultra 120
Evga 7900gt KO 512mb - cooled by VF900
Gskill DDR2 800 "HZ"
Asus P5W DH Delux
2 250gb Perp 7200.10's on intel matrix raid !!!
Seasonic S12-600

Back