• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DS3 North Bridge heatsink literally burned my hand!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natewildes

I overclocked my 805 to 3.6GHz, 5 minutes later I touch the NB heatsink, and 1 minute later I'm staring at 3 blistering finger tips. Ouch. So, I guess I need something better :). Since I already have a watercooling loop, I'm thinking about getting a waterblock for it, but that would mean emptying my loop and ladeda....which is a pain. Is it OK that hot, or is it worth the effort and money? I do plan on overclocking this chip and a C2D in the near future.

Then If you are up for a NB block go for the swiftech MCW30 (what I have) great block and very flow friendly.

That's the block I was planning on getting (MCW30). Is there a big need to rush out and get one, or can I wait a while? I don't want to damage my system, but if it isn't harming it I would rather go without for a bit.

nikhsub1 said:
Then If you are up for a NB block go for the swiftech MCW30 (what I have) great block and very flow friendly.

the proble with this sink is that airflow is blocked by the memory sticks. It is simply too low profile. I ordered a Thermalright HR-05. Higher profile to capture more airflow.

...how would this affect the performance of the waterblock signifigantly? heat is transferred out of the water mainly by the radiator, and airflow over the Northbridge block has very little affect compared to what the block already does.

situman said:
the proble with this sink is that airflow is blocked by the memory sticks. It is simply too low profile. I ordered a Thermalright HR-05. Higher profile to capture more airflow.

the mcw30 is a waterblock, not a heat sink :)

:beer:

I'm hoping he was just confused ;). Since no one has any input to whether it's safe at this temp or not, I think I'll go ahead and order an MCW30.

natewildes said:
I'm hoping he was just confused ;). Since no one has any input to whether it's safe at this temp or not, I think I'll go ahead and order an MCW30.
i would, im about to order mine :)

Since I have the GigaByte board with those blue tunnel active NB cooling things that don't actually work, I just set one of these next to my burning hot NB HS, problem solved.

"You got snakes on your avatar" </sam jackson>

You'll probably get a little more FSB out of the chip after you water cool it. I've read that the 965s are relative heaters.

I'd rather not share my burned fingers with the rest of the world, but thanks for asking ;). I have a temporary fix; I'm using one my extra 92mm fans which came with my Armor to cool it, I just sat it on the back of my VGA and pointed it at the NB/mosfets. Cools it well and nearly silently while lookin' good, so I'm not complaining :).

It's just too hot!

Ambient temperature is my “Achilles Heal” most days my home office reaches 35 Deg C. Currently I’m relying on air cooling from a total of 7 fans located through the case. My GA-965P-DS3 F10 Bios is basically at default and my core temps under normal loads is around 45 C and tops out at 60 C running “ORTHOS”.

In an attempt to start overclocking I’m following BillParish’s guide, as suggested in this great thread:-www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

I can’t even reach his ‘BaseLine’ setup, the core reaches 70 C under normal loads.

OK, so I need liquid cooling for both the CPU and Northbridge. I don’t want too much hardware in the case, things like the radiator, pump and reservoir etc. to be mounted outside.

Any suggestions? Some pictures would be great.
Thank you

Last edited:
Back