• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fireandice

Ok i got a 6800GS. it unlocked to 16/6 and is running at ultra clocks 400/1.1 and i can run higher than that still its just hot in my room since the ac is off.

so instead of putting in my sig on some fourms to save space instead of listing the clocks and thats the gs is unlocked couldent i call it a Ultra? The proformance is the same. If i was to sell it i would list it as a GS but would calling it a ultra even tho is has the same pipes and shader numer and clocks as well as proformance lead to a flame war?

Even though it's unlocked and clocked like an Ultra, it's still not an Ultra. Of course you can do what you want, but I would still refer to it as a GS. Besides, it gives people more info about how well the GS has worked out for you, and you can take pride in modding your card and saving a lot of money :)

yeah im trying to work my sig into a forum that has limited space in the sig. i cant list the clocks and that its unlocked.

but it does use the ultra pcb lol just missing a 4 pin plug and some regs and what not lol.

off topic time.

ok i had this idea for a read point for a v mod. it would take that spot for the 4 pin molex that the card dosent have and have one placed there from a dead 6600 i got. then i woul cut the traces so the plug isent connected to nothing on the pcb just the solder points on the card. then put wires from that to the read points so i can just plug the multi meter in. i would have 2 sets of plugs wired upto the plug that plugs into the card so i could check vcore and vram but i havent really thought about all the details yet just a idea that i think would look pretty clean when done.

I believe that the 6800 ultra had some different voltages/ mem timings in the bios compared to the rest of the 6800 series cards. Listing it as an ultra could be considered false advertising imo...

do the gs's have diff timeings than the gt's? i know the GS's memory is clockewd faster on my bfg than the gt?

i was gonna relfash it to a gt or whatnot but i can see no point inless the timeings are better and it uses the same ram. since my cards soft modded and unlocked the only think i could see would be a vmod for the core so i can crank that up some more but i see no point untill i get a athlon for my rig since im bottlenecked. i still manage to score as high as some ultras when i oc from 1.4 to 2.3 but i still think theres a slight bottleneck so oc'ed the card more would be pointless since i got a pretty fast card allready and got the ultra proformance pretty much.

i just decided to take a nate from the small print that everyone knows and just say its a 6800GS* when people ask what the * is i'll tell them its unlocked and oc'ed to ultra clocks.

Last edited:
Back