• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two problems. system startup hang, and game stuttering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabe3

Well, I've had these problems for awhile now, I've learned to live with them but now its getting anoying. I set both CPU and video card at stock speeds to rule out overclocking causing an issue... The first prolem is simple to explain, once I get to my desktop and all my programs are booting the system will hang, hard drive light stops and nothing is going on, i can move my mouse but cant click on anything. I tryed disabling different startup programs but that didnt get me anywhere. When my pc is starting up at the xp loading scree, the xp loading bar only goes across about 1 or 2 times, which is really fast, but once it gets to the desktop it will hang, or the programs boot really slowly.

Second problem is when gaming, after a few hours the game will get really stuttery/the image will appear jaged. The FPS never drop, its not a issue with the FPS droping. If you run left and right along a wall, like in battlefield 2 or CSS, you can really see the stutterness. Its like the issue that vertical sync is suppose to fix but if I enable it nothing happens.

yo4444 said:
Gabe,
read THIS thread all about x2 hotfix to end gaming probs with X2 cpu's
I thought thats only for the x2 cpus? not the opterons. And I thought its only for xp, not xp x64.

Gabe3 said:
I thought thats only for the x2 cpus? not the opterons. And I thought its only for xp, not xp x64.

X2's and Opterons are the same chips with different names...

dan

Last edited:
x64 Edition could be the problem. I had a similar problem becasue my video drivers were curropted. I suggest reinstalling your vid drivers and run driver cleaner to get all the old out. If that doesn't work try a version older on the drivers. BTW do you have your chipset drivers installed?

I used x64 for about a month and it was very flaky on my machiene. Went back to XP Pro and it solved a bunch of issues.

Dan0512 said:
X2's and Opterons are the same chips with different names.

dan
wow, your so wrong

x64 Edition could be the problem. I had a similar problem becasue my video drivers were curropted. I suggest reinstalling your vid drivers and run driver cleaner to get all the old out. If that doesn't work try a version older on the drivers. BTW do you have your chipset drivers installed?

I used x64 for about a month and it was very flaky on my machiene. Went back to XP Pro and it solved a bunch of issues.
I always do that when i get new vid card drivers

Gabe3 said:
wow, your so wrong
basic instruction sets and processes are identical. HTT differs and there are some other quarks but they are very similar. The opties are designed for servers and the 64's for workstations. The opties are baiscally more optimized.... They are also designed for more then one proc on the same board...

Good refrence as to the difference...
http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/27340
and another...
http://www.motherboardpoint.com/t61582-whats-the-difference-between-an-opteron-and-an-athlon-64.html

I always do that when i get new vid card drivers
Try it again... If you are OCing you could be curropting files... or you could have a bad component sending bogus data...

Last edited:
Immortal_Hero said:
basic instruction sets and processes are identical. HTT differs and there are some other quarks but they are very similar. The opties are designed for servers and the 64's for workstations. The opties are baiscally more optimized.... They are also designed for more then one proc on the same board...

Good refrence as to the difference...
http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/27340
and another...
http://www.motherboardpoint.com/t61582-whats-the-difference-between-an-opteron-and-an-athlon-64.html

Try it again... If you are OCing you could be curropting files... or you could have a bad component sending bogus data...
I think optys have twice the cache. Like I said, its not an overclocking issue, and I just got new drivers

Gabe3 said:
wow, your so wrong

Dan0512 said:
X2's and Opterons are the same chips with different names.

Wow, prove it.

I forgot exclude the x2's with 512KB cache per core.... otherwise they're the exact same architecture, and perform the same clock for clock compared to the FX and x2's 2MB brothers. They usually just OC better than the x2's because AMD probably has lower tolerances for server chips.

939 Opterons are just meant to be used in servers...

Concerning your problem, your card might be overheating and throttling.

dan

Dan0512 said:
Wow, prove it.

I forgot exclude the x2's with 512KB cache per core.... otherwise they're the exact same architecture, and perform the same clock for clock compared to the FX and x2's 2MB brothers. They usually just OC better than the x2's because AMD probably has lower tolerances for server chips.

939 Opterons are just meant to be used in servers...

Concerning your problem, your card might be overheating and throttling.

dan

This is not entirely correct. There are 2 significant differences between X2's and Opty's. First, the Opteron's have 2 extra hypertransport links. This does not necessarily translate into any performance increase, but it is an architecture difference nonetheless. Also, Opteron's use a better grade silicon, generally resulting in better overclocks.

In my personal experience, I prefer Opterons. I have had 3 s939 chips: an Opty 165, an Opty 146, and an X2 4400+. The 165 is my first (and current) CPU, running at 2700 @1.39V. The 146 did 3000 @1.55V. The 4400+ did a crappy 2500 @1.6V. Granted, the 4400+ I got was a really really bad chip, but there seems to be far more great overclocking chips among Opterons.

Another caveat at this point is price...when I got my 165, I paid the same price I would have for a 3800+. That was a no brainer decision when the cache is taken into account. The price cuts changed all that though, now it would be idiotic to buy an Opteron for almost 2x the price of an Athlon.

squads said:
This is not entirely correct. There are 2 significant differences between X2's and Opty's. First, the Opteron's have 2 extra hypertransport links. This does not necessarily translate into any performance increase, but it is an architecture difference nonetheless. Also, Opteron's use a better grade silicon, generally resulting in better overclocks.

Is that the same for all Opterons regardless of socket? I though the extra links were only for socket 940 though? we're talking about 939..

In my personal experience, I prefer Opterons. I have had 3 s939 chips: an Opty 165, an Opty 146, and an X2 4400+. The 165 is my first (and current) CPU, running at 2700 @1.39V. The 146 did 3000 @1.55V. The 4400+ did a crappy 2500 @1.6V. Granted, the 4400+ I got was a really really bad chip, but there seems to be far more great overclocking chips among Opterons.

When did you purchase the x4400? The early x2's were known to be crappy OCers...

Another caveat at this point is price...when I got my 165, I paid the same price I would have for a 3800+. That was a no brainer decision when the cache is taken into account. The price cuts changed all that though, now it would be idiotic to buy an Opteron for almost 2x the price of an Athlon.

Yeah, it's too bad the Optys didn't drop in price otherwise everyone would be still be all over them.

dan

4400X2, 4800X2 and Opterons all have the same L1 cache, it's advertised wrong for some reason. 64KB Data and 64KB Code on each core (independent cache). Source AMD specs.

Opterons have more cross connections in the crossbar allowing them to move more data through IO. It's somthing like 14MB/s on Athlons and 22MB/s on Opterons (total data throughput).

Why an Opteron? IMO they are made to higher standards (better OC vs Volts) equals more stability. As for more data throughput, can we see the difference in Gaming?

Dan0512 said:
Is that the same for all Opterons regardless of socket? I though the extra links were only for socket 940 though? we're talking about 939..

See AlabamaCajun's post a couple above this one

Dan0512 said:
When did you purchase the x4400? The early x2's were known to be crappy OCers...

This was an 0612 Opteron, one of the new 89W steppings. Some people have great clocking ones, but others are hitting brick walls at 2.5 and 2.6 with these chips (stock 2.2).

i think my problems with the gaming might have been fixed installing new nforce chipset drivers, amd optimzer, and a dual core driver

put a fan directly over the memory and see if that fixes it. i had a similar problem and it was the memory getting too hot.

Gabe3 said:
i think my problems with the gaming might have been fixed installing new nforce chipset drivers, amd optimzer, and a dual core driver
Glad to hear it.

Back