• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6600 + DS3 + big typhoon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkHop

I just built my new box with an E6600, Gigabyte DS3, and a Thermaltake Big Typhoon cooler.

I really want to push this thing to 3.2GHz - please lemme know how I can do this with the most stability. Will this work?

Set Vcore to 1.35
Multiplier to 8
FSB to 400

My RAM timings are 5-5-5-12. Do I need to do anything to my RAM in the BIOS for overclocking, or will just those 3 adjustments do the trick?

Thanks!

heh the ds3 isnt so great with manual ram adjustments..id change it back to auto and see if it increases your OC, if not up that Vcore and dont be shy!

Green - my BIOS is at F4... where do you get the F5's... are they beta? Are they better for OCing?

d94 - I didn't do anything to the RAM timings, that's what they are listed as when I bought them. How should I OC this thing to 3.2? Multiplier to 8 and FSB to 400, without changing Vcore?

PunkHop said:
Green - my BIOS is at F4... where do you get the F5's... are they beta? Are they better for OCing?

d94 - I didn't do anything to the RAM timings, that's what they are listed as when I bought them. How should I OC this thing to 3.2? Multiplier to 8 and FSB to 400, without changing Vcore?

Don't think you'll get up to 400 without changing the Vcore.

I'd switch to F5e. Yes it is beta, but for me it runs MUCH better than F4 did (my CD drive stopped working with F4.)

I'm still having a problem where Windows XP won't read my DVD drive which is attached to an SATA converter. Probably a driver issue. It's really hard to uninstall miscellaneous drivers though... Works in 2003 however!

rainless said:
Don't think you'll get up to 400 without changing the Vcore.

I'd switch to F5e. Yes it is beta, but for me it runs MUCH better than F4 did (my CD drive stopped working with F4.)

I'm still having a problem where Windows XP won't read my DVD drive which is attached to an SATA converter. Probably a driver issue. It's really hard to uninstall miscellaneous drivers though... Works in 2003 however!
rain if you have the dvd reader or writer? as i have found out the hard way DVD-r/rw do not work with sata converters, well the one i have. i have tried the intel and jmicron and Sil controllers none work. if using intels in AHCI it states that is only works with harddrives and CD-ROM drives not sure if they work with sata cd-r/rw drives. havent been able to find to much on it, need to do more digging though.

F5 bios are now released (not beta) and avalible on gigabytes website.

PunkHop said:
Set Vcore to 1.35
Multiplier to 8
FSB to 400
My RAM timings are 5-5-5-12.

Yes, this should work fine. I only run my Vcore at 1.325 and its stable. +1 to MCH atleast, maybe +1 to Vdim also.

Make sure you turn off EIST and Thermal Throttling. PCI-E can try 100 or auto, seems to varry person to person. Turn off USB legacy and Serial/Parallel ports if you don't need them.

I would not jump straight to 400 FSB. Try smaller increments, then test for stability and check temps at each step.

i had to put my 6600 on water to get it to 400 stable on the ds3 ... running 1.5 VC which is too high for air. It got there on f4 bios and is currently folding 724 for about a week.
Using corsair 5400UL mem is 1:1 manually set to 4-3-2-4 which bios changes to 4-3-3-9 :shrug: I had similar results with crucial 800 mem.

I built another 6600 on p5b-d last nite using a BT and temps limited me to a 365 fsb for stable orthos & folding. This one is running 365 (3.285 mhz) at 1.4 VC. It is folding stable for 12 hours so far.

So I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get your 6600/ds3 to 3.2 ghz (which is about 360 fsb, not 400) at around 1.4 v assuming your mem does not limit you running at 1:1. Since 1:1 is only 720 I would think any 667 rated mem should be able to do that, possibly with a bit extra voltage. The ds3 is somewhat picky about memory tho. And stick with 1:1 mem ratio for oc'ing.

I am running standard 9 multi on both. On air there will be temp issues with lowering multi and raising fsb and will only make temps worse.

Make sure you replace the standard BT fan with something stronger, or add a fan on top of it. My 6600 with the BT has 3 fans on it ... but is it just running out of case on a bench.

Last edited:
pscout, i've done very little overclocking in my day, so a lot of what you said was greek to me. could you give me a quick rundown of what i should change in my BIOS to try to get 3.2? You know, something like "set X to this, set Y to this, set Z to this, then gradually increase V until it's unstable" or something, including PCI-E and RAM? Thanks man. My Big Typhoon is a GREAT cooler and I don't think heat will be a big issue - I've got great airflow in my case.

Also, how do I flash to F5? @BioS isn't finding it, it only gives me F4, and when I downloaded it and ran FLASH895, I couldn't do anything to it - arrow keys didn't work, nothing. What's the deal?

use the easy flash util. download the f5.exe or .zip file. make a directory on the desktop. then run easy flash, tell it to flash from file. the point it to the directory with the F5.bin file. click flash file or go or what ever they call it. make sure you not running any other programs in the background before flashing.

Ok, I got to F5, but when I went into my BIOS to set everything up, I enabled and disabled stuff, set the numbers, and when I restarted the FSB was 266 x 8 rather than 380 x 8 - what's up with that? When I went back into the BIOS, CPU Host Clock Control was disabled. What am I doing wrong?

bios.JPG

just enable it then restart if its still bein disabled. reset the cmos, go in and load fail safe. restart then start ocing agian...

Still won't work, each time I restart the CPU Host Clock Control is disabled. All my other BIOS settings are saved. Check it out.

bios1.JPG

bios2.JPG

bios3.JPG

cpuz.jpg

so you try to enable it but it keeps disabling it? well that is odd and has me stumped.

It just means it doesn't like your OC. If you reset the bios to defaults, save and exit. Then go into, enable the cpu host clock control but don't stick it right on 380. Try 280, save it, exit. And see if it works.

Your memory system multiplier should be set to 2 and not auto. I'd give it +1 vdimm also.
That CPU Enhanced Halt, I think you want that off also.

Back