• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

plugged in power incorrectly to my floppy any damage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeki

I got a new core2duo system and i accidently plugged the power cable to my floppy drive incorrectly. when i turned the pc on the drive started smoking. i turned the pc off and thats when i realized i plugged it in wrong. i inspected the power cable that was connected to it and it was melted. i detached the floppy drive. i was scared to turn the pc back on with that power supply after what happened but i did it anyways. it seemed like everything was loading fine till it got into windoze the screen was all messed up.

so i ended up swapping the powersupply to get it to work.
so here is my question. did it do any damage to my cpu, mobo or memory when it was smoking? after the swap everything seems to be ok. so was the damage only to my powersupplY?

I never heard of a damaged psu messing up just windows. I suggest putting in your old psu and try to get into the bios to check voltage levels. If they are fluctuating maddly then your power supply might be dead/on the verge of dieing. but hey, it could have also been just a one time thing.

i don't think i want to risk it cuz i don't want to damage any of my new hardware
i'll try it on some old machines
i am monitoring my power now and i see that my cpu core is at 1.1-1.2 omg i'm so worried i keep getting warning that it is too low it says its supposed to be 2.05v does this mean i'm just using a ****ty ps or something else is wrong?

umm, that should be enough to run an average pc. well, unless your using sli/crossfire it should be enough. there is a slight chance that it fried the stuff on your mobo that regulates voltage, but thats a little out of my league. try unplugging any non-essential hardware (lights, fans (leave case open atm) any CD/DVD drives you have) see if that helps. Thats all of the help I can offer atm.

zeki said:
I got a new core2duo system and i accidently plugged the power cable to my floppy drive incorrectly. when i turned the pc on the drive started smoking. i turned the pc off and thats when i realized i plugged it in wrong. i inspected the power cable that was connected to it and it was melted. i detached the floppy drive. i was scared to turn the pc back on with that power supply after what happened but i did it anyways. it seemed like everything was loading fine till it got into windoze the screen was all messed up.

so i ended up swapping the powersupply to get it to work.
so here is my question. did it do any damage to my cpu, mobo or memory when it was smoking? after the swap everything seems to be ok. so was the damage only to my powersupplY?

Actually, I am surprised that the PSU went south. Most PSUs have a circuit in it called a crowbar that protects the PSU when it sees a short. If it was a high quality PSU it shouldn't have died. Having said that, however, your description indicates that it probably did die. I would not recommend trying the PSU in another computer. It could damage the other computer. Also, it is hard to tell if the reversal in the floppy cable damaged anything else. But, since you say everything seems to be working, you may have lucked out. I would make a very close visual inspection (use a magnifying glass) of all of the parts in the computer looking for signs of overheat (burn marks, discoloration, etc). Anything that has a sign of overheat should be highly suspect and for my money should be replaced.

Back