• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im planning to go WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

Im pretty set on my cpu block, gpu block, and pump. What Im curious about is Resevoir and radiator.

As far as resevoir, how important is it? I notice in a lot of pix on the stickies, they didnt have them. Im pretty sure its better to have one, but to what extent?

On radiators, I know bigger is better, but is there a limit? Can I go too big? I think im going to go with either a 120/2 or 120/3, but is the 3 possibly overkill?

--pak

The 120/2 would probably be plenty for your sig rig - the 7900GT doesn't create a lot of heat unless you're OC'ing it and it doesn't look like your CPU is dumping much heat, either.

As for the res - I don't like 'em. You will get quicker bleed times (though my last WC only took 2 hours) but some create noise and to me it's just one more thing that might leak. I use a copper 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/4" "T" with 3/4" tubing so it'll hold a little more water and trap the bubbles better ...

Last edited:
Well the main reason for me to to WC is cuz my CPU does generate a lot of heat. I honestly havent figured out the main culprit, but my cpu is pushing [email protected] at which I can only reach 2600mhz on the cpu. I figure Ill go WC'n and hopefully drop the temps a lot on the cpu and maybe I can pump more voltage.

and as far as my GPU, I can clock 600/2000, but i actually score better with lower clocks which is cuz I dont have enough voltage going to the card. So I plan to volt mod. Right now, I get into the low 50c's on a really hot day. And thats with a zalman cooler and some zalman heat sinks.

--pak

Its because its a non SOI 130nm clawhammer. It has a rather large die and puts out a good 80 something watts of heat at stock. Overclocked pushed it into the 90-100 range. Thats why ;). Grab a Bonniville w/o AC heatercore (of if you can't find one, the with AC model will work fine, its what I use). They're $23 usually and perform really well.

Reservoir vs. T-line. Do a search, tons of info about the pros and cons of both. It boils down to personal preference. A res is a little easier for the beginner because filling and bleeding is simplified. A T-line is cheaper and takes up less space. If you get a good quality res and have it filled properly, they don't make noise nor will they have a greater risk of leakage. Cheap crappy reservoirs have been known to leak. My Swiftech res is perfectly silent and has never leaked.

I would get a good 2X120mm rad like the Black Ice Pro.

Moto7451 said:
Its because its a non SOI 130nm clawhammer. It has a rather large die and puts out a good 80 something watts of heat at stock. Overclocked pushed it into the 90-100 range. Thats why ;). Grab a Bonniville w/o AC heatercore (of if you can't find one, the with AC model will work fine, its what I use). They're $23 usually and perform really well.

are you saying my temps are normal? and what does SOI mean?

--pak

SOI means Silicon On Insulator. It is a manufacturing process, that reduces electromagnetic effects allowing for smaller circuits.

What's your budget? PA120.2 should be enough to cool down the system in your sig. I'm not sure what regular temps for your chips are, but I'm running a barton on WC and I don't even get that high (bartons are older, so they should produce more heat?). Then again I am on WC.

If you're not too sure on a reservoir+pump, and this is your first wc setup. I would suggest, mcp355 pump + mcres 1000 (both made by swiftech). Don't get the mcres1000p kit because it comes with a weaker mcp350 pump

Well so far I am set on these items.

MCP655
Swiftech Storm
Thermochill 120 2 or 3
Any full face GPU block. Right now considering the DD KOOSAH(This is the first one I have seen and im still looking for other options)

As far the the GPU block, I would like a full face GPU block, but im trying to find someone who can compare them to a convetion gpu block and good ramsinks. I have already hit 2k on my memory with ramsinks and want to go higher. The full face look good, but I can see them being bad. For one, how does the full face card compensate for the gpu and each individual ram chip being level. Im sure each ram chip is not exactly the same height from the base of the card which will cause good contact issues leave 1 or more ram chips poorly cooled. As of right now I can only find that DD full face block and on from EKwaterblocks from europe.

My only issue between the 2vs3 radiator is mounting. I plan to use the MCB-120™Revision 2 "Radbox" radiator/fan housing unit. In the picture it shows it mounting a 1 and 2 fan radiator, but not a 3 and I could see a 3fan radiator being somewhat questionable with that item. I dont have the biggest case in the world and mounting the radiator is the only issue I see right now. This item makes things somewhat easy for me.

--pak

If you buy a full cover GPU block it may become useless when you switch video cards. That is the main problem with full cover GPU blocks. The other problem is that they are much more expensive than regular GPU blocks and RAM sinks. I would just stick with a Maze4 or a AquaXtreme MP-1.

Also, the MCP655 is a great pump (I own two...only using one), but you may want to consider a DDC+. You can get 20% off at danger den (the coupon is good for any purchase, not just the DDC) and then pick up the modded top from some place like performance pc's. The DDC+ costs a little more, but the pump has less heat dump and more head.

what is your case? I dont think those radboxes can hold a .3. the PA120.2 should be plenty for just CPU+GPU

well maybe you all can help me decide. I just got this 7900gt and I wanna push it. Im looking to get the most out of it as possible. And if that mean full face block then Ill shoot for it. It is almost 3x the price as a block and GPU, is the performance gain worth it? If it doesnt work out I could always sell it. I dont see 7900gt becoming unpopular soon

As far as the pump, I was looking for something with a flow control. Although it is minimal, I would like to toy with flow to get optimal cooling from the setup. But now that you mention that the DDC has better head and produces less heat, it might be better. I guess it would be hard to say with out testing the two in identical setups.

And my case is a cheap 30$ case I got from a local store. To be honest, I cant justify spending 100$+ on cases, even 50$. Its a case! I dunno thats going to differ from person to person. But now that Im fairly set on WC'n, I think Im going to just get my son his own desk and just lay my parts open on the table caseless. Im moving stuff so much it might just be better for me. It would also solve my issues of mounting the radiator and other components. I guess them moving around from vibration(the pump) might become an issue as well. I mean what kind of system would need a .3 radiator?

Thx for the replies.

--pak

Where do I get that DD coupon?

I ran a 7900GT when they first came out w/ a Maze4. I got great temps. I think I was around 42c (full load) @ ~650 core. It is recommended that you run the MCP655 at full voltage. It is supposed to be easier on the pump.

pak said:
well maybe you all can help me decide. I just got this 7900gt and I wanna push it. Im looking to get the most out of it as possible. And if that mean full face block then Ill shoot for it. It is almost 3x the price as a block and GPU, is the performance gain worth it? If it doesnt work out I could always sell it. I dont see 7900gt becoming unpopular soon

As far as the pump, I was looking for something with a flow control. Although it is minimal, I would like to toy with flow to get optimal cooling from the setup. But now that you mention that the DDC has better head and produces less heat, it might be better. I guess it would be hard to say with out testing the two in identical setups.

And my case is a cheap 30$ case I got from a local store. To be honest, I cant justify spending 100$+ on cases, even 50$. Its a case! I dunno thats going to differ from person to person. But now that Im fairly set on WC'n, I think Im going to just get my son his own desk and just lay my parts open on the table caseless. Im moving stuff so much it might just be better for me. It would also solve my issues of mounting the radiator and other components. I guess them moving around from vibration(the pump) might become an issue as well. I mean what kind of system would need a .3 radiator?

Thx for the replies.

--pak

Where do I get that DD coupon?

I use to think the same way about the case, but after working with cheap cases, I had to change my mind. I guess if you don't mind spending an extra 5mins trying to figure how what you need to unscrew to get certain parts in then it's o.k. Then there's also the factor that cheap cases usually cut your hand (got two scars on my hands coz of cheapo cases).

I wouldn't get a full face block. Unless you just wanna spend the extra $$$ then go for it. I can't justify spending 2x for minimal gains. I'd get an mcw60 + heatsinks for like $60

Back