• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fry's store

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yep, thats a good deal....:thup:

Anytime you can get a midrange CPU with a mobo for a $100, its a good deal.

wat you can do is sell the motherboard for money and buy a better one. ive done that before and it worked well for me.

Krome said:
Isn't a socket 939 cpu better than the socket 754 one?

Socket 754 is a dead end. The switch between 754>939 was almost immediate after AMD 64 came out. Should have never gone with it in the first place.

Yes, 939 is better.

Still a pretty good deal though.

Krogen said:
Socket 754 is a dead end. The switch between 754>939 was almost immediate after AMD 64 came out. Should have never gone with it in the first place.

Yes, 939 is better.

Still a pretty good deal though.

Just to add my 2 cents, both 754 and 939 are dead ends at this point. The big advantage 939 has over 754 is the availability of dual core processors. All of the other differences between the two platforms are minor in regard to performance. Even 939's dual channel memory doesn't have a large impact.

JMO, but the newegg combo is a better deal because at least one of the boards you can choose from has decent OC potential, which will ultimately yield better performance than the Fry's combo. If one is thinking about buying now and upgrading to dual core later (which would be the only advantage of the 939 Fry's combo) then I suggest looking at either an Intel or AM2 solution :beer:

when you go into fry's just ask to upgrade to a better mobo.
the Epox 939 (can't recall the model) shouldn't be a big jump in price.

Back