• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6400 and Video Editing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
I'm running Adobe Premiere Pro (1.0) and I must say I'm impressed with the E6400's rendering speed. I'm able to output a 1064 frame 30 second clip with plenty of effects and such in about 20 seconds. 2/3s realtime! I'll test a five minute clip soon to see how fast I can churn that out... Macromedia Flash compresses all video, regardless of length, in about 59 seconds. This gives me the ability to try much more daring things as I'm no longer CPU limited. Can't wait to get another gig of ram and start getting AUDACIOUS.

Only problem is Premiere Pro 1.0 doesn't seem to work so well with the E6400. Keeps shutting down on me and such. Fortunately it usually leaves me free to save my progress before I have to click the "Don't send Microsoft All My Private Information" button... So I just bring it back up.

Still annoying though.

When I get some cash I'll upgrade to Premiere Pro 2.0.

Edit: 2 minutes 20 seconds to render 5989 frames (3mins 20 secs) http://www.takeonparis.com/episode2.htm

Last edited:
I'm in the process right now of looking at parts so I can build a video editing rig for my wife. I take it the E6400 is a socket T?

I found an Intel Xeon Dual core 5050 Dempsey 3.0ghz for a good price that has 64-bit support and HT, but my problem is I can't find a board that'll support it. It's this odd socket 771 config. I never even heard of 771. I don't want s478, because she has that already, and I want to bump her up to the next level.

I almost feel lost now that the Core Duo chips, and Core Solo chips are out there, and the Conroe's. I just want the best CPU for the job.

Gig-O-Ram said:
I'm in the process right now of looking at parts so I can build a video editing rig for my wife. I take it the E6400 is a socket T?

I found an Intel Xeon Dual core 5050 Dempsey 3.0ghz for a good price that has 64-bit support and HT, but my problem is I can't find a board that'll support it. It's this odd socket 771 config. I never even heard of 771. I don't want s478, because she has that already, and I want to bump her up to the next level.

I almost feel lost now that the Core Duo chips, and Core Solo chips are out there, and the Conroe's. I just want the best CPU for the job.

Don't see how you could go wrong with a Core 2 Duo. You could give an E6400 a SLIGHT overclock and still be faster than the stock speeds of most of the processors in existence. At 3.15 ghz my processor was faster than an FX62, an E6600, and I believe an E6700 (maybe) at their stock speeds. Not to mention you'll have no problems finding a 775 motherboard.

The main issue here would be which editing system she's using? You would have to have something that could support Hyper threading or Intel's DualCore system. Like I said I'm having issues with Premiere Pro 1.0, but I think 2.0 might work fine.

rainless said:
Don't see how you could go wrong with a Core 2 Duo. You could give an E6400 a SLIGHT overclock and still be faster than the stock speeds of most of the processors in existence. At 3.15 ghz my processor was faster than an FX62, an E6600, and I believe an E6700 (maybe) at their stock speeds. Not to mention you'll have no problems finding a 775 motherboard.

The main issue here would be which editing system she's using? You would have to have something that could support Hyper threading or Intel's DualCore system. Like I said I'm having issues with Premiere Pro 1.0, but I think 2.0 might work fine.

I looked at some Core 2 Duo's, but in trying to keep costs down a bit, I'm also looking at other chips. This is the 771 chip I was talking about:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819117074

Since I couldn't find any boards (at Newegg anyway) that will support it, I started looking at some LGA775 HT P4's, because as you pointed out, there is no shortage of 775 boards. And I definitely want her to have HT. I was considering this cpu for a 775 setup:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819116197

As far as the editing system she wants to use, she likes Ulead software, and is thinking about getting something from them.

Omg $195.00 for a 640 cpu :eek:
U need dual-core cpu, and not this outdated, slower and hot running cpu.

if you go with LGA771 server board aviod dempsy. its just a "netburst" cpu, what you want is the WOODCREAST 51xx line. basicly conroe but for servers and comes in 2 flavors 1066 or 1333. now whil i have been researching white papers have not yet been able to find info on what pins set 1333 bus. You could buy a 1066buss cpu and set it to run 1333 so a nice cheap server that oced.
not sure why you having trouble finding server boards on newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010200302+1071321504&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=302
^^that is list of LGA771 mobos. o btw when you click motherboards look for the one that says "server" in the title.

ronaldo said:
Omg $195.00 for a 640 cpu :eek:
U need dual-core cpu, and not this outdated, slower and hot running cpu.

I am still looking at parts at the moment, so dual core is still a possibility. I am looking at what my overall cost is going to be, more or less, and then I will change or tweak specs to fit. There are three memory packs I'm considering, a couple of boards and PSU's, etc. So once I find all the parts in the ranges I want, it'll be easier to make final choices.

I take you feel that is too much $$ for that particular P4?

@Evilsizer - I didn't know the LGA771 cpu's were for server boards. Maybe that's why I hadn't heard of that config. I don't really need a server board, as much as I'm looking for something that will handle editing - with a decent cpu of course.

Now any $ is too much to spend on outdated p4, especialy on single core that is 3x slower than slowest Conroe. 3x slower in video encoding and it cost the same, now isnt that a BAD deal ?

oh yeah, these Conroe is FAST in video encoding!!!!

for comparision, rip a DVD movie to Divx HomeTheater Profile.

my old [email protected] need just under 2hrs to rip a DVD movie (around 1:45-1:50mins). a go out for dinner and come back job. when I was using my anicent [email protected], it was a overnight job (7-8hrs)!!

I've just tested min [email protected] (and still climbing!) just right at 30mins!! now it's more like a cup-o-noodle's time!! :eek:

I'm just LOVE these little Conroe!!! especially for a person like me who do 5-10+hrs of video encoding in a weekly base!!!

I think I will definitley look at dual cores, and the conroe's (isn't that the name of a particular core?)

I've been thinking about it, and it doesn't seem to make sense anymore to consider P4's - especially the pres-hots (I used to run a 3.2ghz on my Intel setup...GOD did it get hot!) Anyway, I'm nearly done with my parts list, I just need to look at another CPU, decide on a Memory kit and pick the PSU.

My wife's computer will better than mine!:eek:

Back