• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Eager to spend 200 bucks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsimatrix

Registered
I need ideas! Im thinking of upgrading the cooling systems in my comp. Right now Im running stock cooling for both the video card and the cpu. I was thinking of getting the Ninja HSF for cpu and the Zalman ZM80D-HP for the vga.

Im welcome to suggestions. As you cansee in my sig theirs the rest of my computer. I got my rig OC so cooling would be a priority. Those 2 cooling products would only set me back 100 bucks and i got 200 to spend. Should I opt for something else, or add on to my wishlist?

I might add that this computer is mainly a Folding and webbrowsing computer. Used for games once in a while (americas army, BF2... mainly)

You might be able to get water cooling for that if you are willing to roll your own and use parts that are normally not sold in water cooling sets, like cheap aquarium pumps. However trying to create cheap water cooling just to have it might not be a good idea, and you would need to research this out if you plan on getting the right parts for the job that are cost effective. Head over to the water cooling section and ask if you can scrounge up a 200 dollar set that will cool a video card and your cpu you might be able to get a good set.

If you want to stay on air there are far better options for video card cooling, heck I dont even know if that zalman fits as no one is crazy enough to trust a 7900gt to that cooler from the fx days.

Zalman offers good non passive cooling options that fit that card, namely the vf900 and vf700 families. Also the artic cooler 5 rev 3 might be able to fit that card, but I would look for confirmation first.

take a look at SVC hopefully they will be offering a coupon code for a free cookie soon. All of the vf zalmans will fit that card and the previously mentioned artic cooler might.

edit: all of the aftermarket coolers that I mentioned are quiet enough to not be heard unless you put your head into your case.

Best bang for the buck:
-Sell A64 for X2 (You just doubled your cpu power in one step)
-With the money you have left over buy a cheap cpu and gpu cooler. (XP-90C and Zalman gpu cooler?)

-Alternative would be to sell your 2x512 and go for 2x1gb instead of the coolers for your cpu/gpu.

alright awsome, thanks. I will look into the scratch watercooling setup.

The fear for me was a loud nonpassive cooling solution for my 7900gt as right now im totally ****ed about the noise ahahaha.

Is the diference in quality between the VF700 and VF900 great. I will be OC my 7900gt and I want it to run as cool as possible. Is the price difference worth the temperature difference?

VF900
http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4823&Category_Code=71

VF700
http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4812&Category_Code=71

BTW, this is my local computer store. :) (Support us Canadian Modders :D ultimate modding store :D)

A pretty good watercooling setup wouldn't be hard at all for $200, especially if you snag some used parts. Threads like this come up all the time in the watercooling subforum, so I'd advise you to poke around in there. But basically, off the top of my head:

$50 for dual rad + shroud, + $10 for fans = $60
$60 for a pair of waterblocks
$15 for tubing, $5 for clamps
$35 for a Danner Mag 3
= $180

anyone know if the Scythe Infinity is a good investment for cpu cooling. Its new and theirs only a 2 or 3 reviews out their. Cost is about the same as the Ninja and it reviews at about 2degree drop in temps.(conroe system)

I also decided to get the VF900 vga cooler.

Should be buying this stuff by the end of the month.

MCR 220 Rad - $40
DD TDX CPU Block - $50
MCP355 Pump - $75
MCRES1000 - $20
2x 120mm Yate loons - $8

The infinity is alright, if you're not purchasing for awhile, try to get your hands on a tuniq tower

xsimatrix said:
Bios24 - Do you suggest selling the a64... ebay? hmmm should look into that.

Yep. I'd say it's an easy choice. You can buy a 2.2ghz X2 for around $200 then you can sell your A64 on ebay or here. You should be able to buy some decent air cooling with the money from selling your A64.

I'd say extreme/water cooling is only for people that have the extra time/money. If you're on a budget you should get more bang-for-the-buck by upgrading cpu's and video cards. It's just a process of buying new stuff and selling the old stuff to pay for more new stuff. :santa:

Back