• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem watching movies with x1900xt.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

Ever since I installed this card in place of my 7800gt I've had video playback issues. PowerDvd is slow to respond to commands and I get stuttering and skipping while watching movies especially following commands like activating\deactivating subtitles and language selection. It also hangs when I tell it to close. DVDshrink also stutters during playback but has no issues with responsiveness. Anyone else have similar problems? How can I fix it? Thanks.

I had kind of a similar problem with a sapphire x1300 pro. but instead of stuttering/skipping it would bluescreen. I ended up having to replace it. But could it be possible that the dvd drive got damaged or dirty? try cleaning the laser. That is, unless your playing movies directly off your hdd.

you could try defragmenting it but I doubt thats the problem. try a few other media players like winamp and vlc player.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's my hard drive. The last few times I encoded movies the system ram buffer has been running out and filling back up again momentarily as if the data was hesitating to transfer from disk to memory for a few seconds and then catching back up again. I found a hard drive diagnostic made by maxtor but it says it's only for 500gb or bigger drives. Sandra shows normal drive speed but I don't know how thorough it is. Know a good way to check drive integrity? Please excuse my noobishness. I learn as I go.

freakdiablo said:
you could try defragmenting it but I doubt thats the problem. try a few other media players like winamp and vlc player.
I checked out VLC player but it says it's for Mac servers. I'm downloading winamp now but it looks like it's for internet media and makes no mention of an ability to play mpeg2 vob files. I'll try it anyways and see what happens. As far as the hard drive I think it's fine. I haven't noticed any other obvious signs of hard disk instability in the last few days. I assumed this was a Catalyst driver issue but no one else has spoken up about similar problems so I'm not sure what to think.

EDIT: Tried winamp and no go. It's for mp3's and net media. I can't get windows media player to play ripped movies either

Last edited:
You could get Media Player Classic (got it w/ K-lite codec pack)... I use it to play everything, and it can play just about anything.

dan

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them both. I never had a reason to try anything else until now so I don't know much about media players.

EDIT: For some reason I can't get GOM player to work right. When I try to open a video TS folder it opens it and shows all of the files instead of just playing the movie. I got into the menu screen by highlighting all files and opening but the command options on the title screen don't respond to the mouse cursor. Media player classic works fairly well though. I still have to highlight all of the files in the video TS folder to play the movie but it works and the title screen command options respond to the mouse cursor. The only issue is that some subtitles have letters displayed backwards along with the occasional misspelled word. Unfortunately it still gets choppy once in a while after giving commands to skip tracks etc... It looks like power dvd is still the best so I'll keep trying to get that going. I do appreciate the help though, thank you.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry Brando, I didn't realize that you were trying to watch movies in that format... I was just thinking like avi/ mpg format. For movies in a true dvd format like you mentiioned (audioTS/ videoTS folders) I usually use Nero Showtime.

No worries. I'm lucky to have people willing to help. I'm going to try media player classic for awhile. I tried it out a little longer and may have jumped to conclusions. The goofy subtitles may just be a screw up by the people that made the movie for all I know. After watching for awhile I haven't noticed any choppiness either except for right after I skip tracks for a second. Then again power dvd will seem ok for awhile and then start skipping for no reason, then go back to normal. I hate intermittent problems. I'll give it some time. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have a similar issue. When I open a movie in power dvd, my computer instantly locks up. I get a multicolored checkerpattern on my display.

Windows media player runs it fine. Plays games fine, no artifacts. Think its something to do with compatibility b/t drivers and that particular program?

Does anyone know how to find/install the damn DVD Decoder for this card? I'm in a mad brawl w/ ATI over this very subject. First they tell me it's not available, now they're telling me about the "transcoder"...

I saw the file in the download section but I don't know what it does or how to use it. I thought I read that it allows you to play high definition video or something but I'm hoping it actually helps the cpu encode video (dvdshrink). Let me know if you figure it out. I'm curious.

EDIT: Is this what you mean?
http://www.ati.com/technology/avivo/technology.html

Last edited:
Nah, that's what they want me to install. I don't want to transcode video...I want to decode video. Now they're telling me to install Cyberlink Power DVD...a response to "Where do I get the ATI branded DVD decoder?"

It's almost funny now.

To be honest I don't know what decoding is. As far as I know encoding is when you compress video, transcoding is when you change the file format and I thought decoding was just watching the video but that's as far as I've gone with the whole video editing thing. I definitely want to use my card for all it's worth though. What is it that you're trying to get your computer to do exactly?

Last edited:
That sounds pretty good to me. You know how Nvidia has their Purevideo, right? It offloads all the DVD decoding (playing of movies) to the GPU. Well, ATI has a decoder downloader. You run it and it asks for the original installation cd. Our 19XT's cd's don't work/come with the needed software.

Back in the spring a guy helped Rattle and myself install it using a program called "enabler." We would force buttons to become active and install it that way. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be working anymore.

I've got PowerDVD on and AFAIK, the ATI cards will decode on the chip for that and WinDVD. It's not "laced to the co's codec" like NV's purevideo. But still...I paid $350, I want my DVD Decoder!!

You'd think it would be built into the driver or something. Lame. Well, last time I looked playing a movie only used a third of the cpu's power so I son't think it would make a difference anyways. I do agree about wanting everything to work properly on principle alone. Damn card is the most expensive part of the system.
EDIT: While using power dvd I saw "Video Accelerator: DirectX VA (not in use)" on the information screen. Maybe the file in the ATI download section will make it work? I'll try it out.

Last edited:
Mpeg-2 video is usually already optomized through the video card if the program you are using supports "overlay". Media Player Classic does as well as VLC, and yes VLC is for Windows too, as well as Mac and Linux. It is a simple matter of enabling it in the options.

The whole Cyberlink hardware acceleration is about H.264 acceleration, which shouldn't bother you at all if you are just watching normal DVDs.

Oh, side note: "Decoding" is decompressing the movie, presenting it in a viewable form. "Encoding" envolves the compression of the movie, often from a raw source. "Transcoding" has to do with the conversion of what form of video to another, such as Mpeg-2 to Mpeg-4 or to Divx/Xvid.

I am a video freak so I know these things. Also, for more information, visit www.doom9.org or the subsequent forum http://forum.doom9.org/

You beat me to it, thanks for the info. I just got done downloading the patch for power dvd 6 which "ungreyed" the hardware acceleration checkbox in the configuration section. It definitely works. When fast forwarding a movie at 3x without hardware acceleration enabled, cpu usage hovers between 25-44%. With hardware acceleration enabled cpu usage at 3x fast forward hovers around 5-18% which I assume is just idling pc activity combined with mouse movement.

Back