• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Duron 800 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave215uk

I have a amd duron 800 with a ECS K7VZA mother board i have managed to get it overclocked to 896 by changing the multiplyer clock from default to 112x8.0 but cant change it any more is there a way to overclock it anymore? thanks

Yes, you can overclock it more.

What you did, btw, was to change the fsb rather than the multiplier. In order to overclock more you'll need to take the chip out and do a minor modification to it. Basically, on the surface of your Duron are some tiny electrical connections that have been cut. This prevents your Duron from using any multiplier other than 8.0. You just need to reconnect those "Bridges". They'll be labelled as L1. To do it you just get a #2 pencil and sharpen it to the finest point possible. THen you simply draw in the connections. The graphite in the pencil has enough conductivity to close the circuit.

If you do a search for "pencil trick" or "L1 bridges" you should find lots of pictures on how to do it. It's a very easy and common modification that prevents little or no risk to the CPU if done carefully. Basically you just need a steady hand and a sharp pencil so that you don't cross connect anything.

Once you've connected the bridges, just put everything back together and you should be able to change the multiplier.

nihili

You would on some motherboards, but, alas, the K7VZA has no multiplier controls. Even if he does the 'L1 trick', he still won't be able to change the multiplier. And since he probably has an earlier revision K7VZA, 112 is as high as it will let him go, period, on the FSB. I'm surprised he got that high - good clock on that board! My friend's will only do 107 without getting flaky!

Dave215uk said:
I have a amd duron 800 with a ECS K7VZA mother board i have managed to get it overclocked to 896 by changing the multiplyer clock from default to 112x8.0 but cant change it any more is there a way to overclock it anymore? thanks

Welcome to the Forums!

What happens when you try to go higher? Are you using sdram (pc100/133) or ddr (pc1600/2100) and what kind?

Back