• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CRT Vrs LCD! Can I go 100% Digital yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infini

I am really sick of this HUGE/HEAVY 22' CRT on my desk next to my slim/light 20' widscreen Dell LCD.

I am a photographer now by trade but still do PC/Mac consulting. I want to know how you guys/gals feel about the newer LCD's and if they have what it takes to play games and have the right color correction for photographey.

I know that when both my monitoras are Proff. calibtrated I can still see a real big difference in contrast and brightness + black levels etc. I notice the LCD is a little dark adn the CRT is a little bright with my photo's so I still have to edot my stuff to compinsate (if I can) for both.

I would love to put my trust into an LCD that can produce Pro quality like a CRT can. Is this possible yet?

Thanks

you might be in the market for an apple 23" studio LCD display, or one of the viewsonics, but they are incredibly pricey

Actually I think the Apple 23' is a great idea. I have a 20 widescreen dell now. It's an exellent LCD, esp. fpr the price but not the best.

I never had a Viewsonic so nor have I seen allot of reviews. I will be looking for a Dual LCD setup so I will do my home work now :)

Thanks

Viewsonic VP2330wb

OK, I did a bit of looking around and the Viewsonic VP2330wb will not fit my needs. It's just not good enough for the price and I loose and inch to the competitors.

I am looking at 3 makes now. 2xDell 24', Apple Cinema or Samsung (I still need to look into samsung).

But I am still concerned about games and if any of these or any LCD can handle the frame rates.

You shouldnt be worried about your lcd handling the framerates, but whether or not your graphics card will be able to supply the frame rates your looking for with such a huge resolution without compromising eye candy.

I doubt the 6800GT will satisfy your needs. Maybe look at dual 7900GS's or GT's

good luck...

It may be different for some of the high end panels, but my experience with LCD's is that many still lag behind CRT's in true color accuracy.

For example, my wife and I wanted to redecorate so we went to behr.com and looked at some paint options. This was on an NEC LCD monitor. We made our selections and then went to Home Depot to have some paint mixed up. To our dismay, the colors we chose were way off from what we really wanted. One of the colors we wanted was a deep red, like a merlot or cab sav. What looked that shade on the LCD turned out to be more of a brown-ish red in real life. Later on when we got home I fired up my old reliable Trinitron and realized that's what we should have used to look at the paint options.

I'm sure there are professionals using LCDs for digital photo work so there must be panels capable of doing a good job of representing accurate colors. But I'm guessing a tradeoff of such quality would almost have to be slower performance. I think your concern of finding a panel capable in both areas is valid.

TheCheat said:
You shouldnt be worried about your lcd handling the framerates, but whether or not your graphics card will be able to supply the frame rates your looking for with such a huge resolution without compromising eye candy.

I doubt the 6800GT will satisfy your needs. Maybe look at dual 7900GS's or GT's

good luck...

Oh I completly agree :) heh, I am peiceing together a new rig list at I scout threads and do homework :) SLI? mmmmm, maybe but I think I might jsut get a decent 512mb 7950.

doublejack said:
It may be different for some of the high end panels, but my experience with LCD's is that many still lag behind CRT's in true color accuracy.

For example, my wife and I wanted to redecorate so we went to behr.com and looked at some paint options. This was on an NEC LCD monitor. We made our selections and then went to Home Depot to have some paint mixed up. To our dismay, the colors we chose were way off from what we really wanted. One of the colors we wanted was a deep red, like a merlot or cab sav. What looked that shade on the LCD turned out to be more of a brown-ish red in real life. Later on when we got home I fired up my old reliable Trinitron and realized that's what we should have used to look at the paint options.

I'm sure there are professionals using LCDs for digital photo work so there must be panels capable of doing a good job of representing accurate colors. But I'm guessing a tradeoff of such quality would almost have to be slower performance. I think your concern of finding a panel capable in both areas is valid.

Hmm, your situation was a particular one :( I would not have relied on the LCD, nor even 100% on the swatches since diect sunlight changes everything :)

I proffesionaly calebrate my LCD and CRT. This helps a great deal, but for paint and Print you have to be very carefull.

A PC uses RGB color mostly and print is CMYK. I think paint would be the same.

Gotta find out how those apple screens do playing EQ2 and FEAR.

I still wont switch, LCD's are closer and closer to tru RGB but just not there yet, they tend still to be over red and under blue :( When i sit my 24" Trinitron next to my roommates 24" Dell you can see huge differences in black tones and the overall red quality of his screen.

If your job depends on color... LCD is just not ready :(

Sort of what I am trying to determine :) Thanks. Although a decent Pro. Calibration goes a long way.
Hey how's the EVE universe these days. Been a long time since I played.

Last edited:
infinitevalence said:
still kicking, still fighting! and always lots of fun, OCFcorp joined ISS and has been moving out to 0.0 space which is nice.

My Corp is STAIN :) but I have had enough of 0.0 and living in fear :)

Back