• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burnt out fan header. What did it take w/ it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ralphing

Mobo is an Epox 8KHA+. The fan header was burnt out and I'm wondering what else was damaged as well when this happened. When powered on, the vid card and NB fans spin and led's come on but there's no boot. I dont really know what the heck I'm doing, but I followed the leads coming off the fan header and checked any resistors I saw that were in-line and they seemed ok (luckily the resistance values are printed right on them).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Shot in the dark here, but it seems like some mobos have a problem when there is no fan hooked up to the board...if you fried the #1 fan header, it may be trying to protect the CPU...
I have no idea about what else may be fried...someone else will probably have a better idea than I can come up with...
Have you tried clearing the CMOS before trying to boot? Just a thought...:D

That would be a heck of a tough situation if you had a burned out CPU fan header on a board that would not boot without a fan connected to it..... but I really can't think of what else it might be. Kind of a tough situation - I doubt you could get an RMA out of it even if you tried.

SB

I had a Delta fan before and it wasnt connected to the fan header to prevent such a thing. The only way i could get in the bios without a fan connected to the # 1 fan header was to hold "insert" while booting, then i could turn off fan monitoring in the bios, then it booted fine because it wasnt monitoring the header anymore, although i find this security very good so i now have a Thermaltake fan plugged in the header, so if anything happens ill be safe.

I know abit has the issue of #1 header needing a fan to boot.

But there is an updated bios that eliminates this issue.

I would check the bios releases on that board and I am sure u will find the same correction that abit did.

Back