Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

CV Templates

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 09-15-06, 07:24 AM Thread Starter   #1
Frodo Baggins

CV Templates

I need some help with my CV template. Right now it looks like ass.

I need to redesign it so it will look completely different and not another one of those Microsoft CV Templates (which it is).

Please suggest for changes. Also, I would love to see other of your CVs for 'inspiration'.

http://philsproof.com/documents/PhilCV.pdf
Frodo Baggins is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-15-06, 09:23 AM   #2
Malpine Walis
Disabled

OK first, I am sure that there are lots of templates out there and google can find them for you. Most of them would not look any better but a few might and any of them would not come with the “made by microsoft” look to them. Perhaps you could even take the better elements from a few and combine them.

Second, that font looks a bit over the top for my taste. Especially when you do the italics.

Third, does it need to be that large? If you had to snail mail that document, you would have a four page resume. Think about what you would do if you had a stack of resumes to go through. Would you stop to read a four pager? Is there any way that you can cut some stuff out to get it down to just the material that a potential reader would want to look at quickly? Also, remember that you can compress a fair amount out of it by having an “additional information available on request” section.

Another possible nit is the research experience section. You have two sections each for two professors. Could you possibly trim like for or five lines from each and combine them to where you have one section for each of them? Considering the length, it would look less like the document had been padded.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-15-06, 11:51 PM   #3
deRusett

I'm on dial up right now until next week so I did not follow the link,

my comment is to Malpine.
My assumption is that Frodo's CV/resume is geared toward Math, and in the persuite of a Math Career. 4 pages would probably be small.

my Uncle who heads up a team of Computer Engineers when helping me write up a Software oriented CV when trying for a contract told me to provide lots of detail, if he gets a CV on his desk with less then 3 pages unless the person comes from a top school and is fresh out, he does not even go past the first page because chances are they are too inexperinced, my software CV was 4 pages and my partner who has done far more then me was 6 pages. you have to talk your self up and leave them sure they want to take the time to talk to you. a professional CV is far more detailed then a resume.

just my 2 cents.

At age 17 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 20 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 35 .... success is .... having money.
At age 50 .... success is .... having money.
At age 60 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 70 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 75 .... success is .... having friends.
At age 80 .... success is .... not peeing in your pants
At Any Age ... success is ... Folding for Team 32
deRusett is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-17-06, 09:12 PM   #4
Illah

My take as far as the design goes is that it doesn't need too much 'design'. Even creatives have relatively mundane resumes, though they may deliver it creatively such as through the use of fancy papers or unusual distribution, i.e. a cool idea I've seen is designing a cereal box that is actually a resume, taking a bag of cereal out of its box and putting it into the resume-box, and shipping the whole thing into an agency instead of a PDF. I've also seen people replace the labels of a can of soup and ship that in. One funky one I heard of was someone taking pics from a webcam of a high-ranking person in an office and sending in fake ransom letters!

http://www.collegerecruiter.com/webl...om_letters.php

Considering your field a plain old paper resume might actually be the best shot. To make it stand out a bit you can try designing a letterhead or something, but I haven't found that to be completely necessary. The cover letter (if applying by email) is the real key. You need to make your case so they actually open the resume!

The one thing I'd consider with layout is moving all that good info on awards and published work higher up as that seems to me to be a true stamp of approval on your success, though my experience comes from a more corporate perspective which might not be how it goes in the academic/scientific fields (assuming that's what you're going for). In my area real achivements are worth more than theoretical knowledge so I typically highlight those moreso than my expertise.

Hope that helps!

--illah
Illah is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-18-06, 12:21 AM   #5
Illah

So to speak a little more to the design element, here's a creative take. This is from an experienced interactive designer in the ad business. Notice the resume itself isn't super fancy as it's more of his 'proof of qualification'. He does pull off the cool letterhead that I mentioned quite well though. The real 'creative' showcasing is done with his portfolio.

http://untitled-design.com/david_eyman_resume.pdf

--Illah
Old 09-20-06, 12:00 AM   #6
Illah

http://web.mac.com/courtneyescanio/i...nio_resume.pdf

There's another cool one I came across. Feels like a business card on steroids (type layout top-right gives it that feel).

This design is very feminine though - funny how much that shines through (it's a girl's resume). The guy I posted above has a more masculine layout.

--Illah
Old 09-20-06, 05:15 AM Thread Starter   #7
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illah
http://web.mac.com/courtneyescanio/i...nio_resume.pdf

There's another cool one I came across. Feels like a business card on steroids (type layout top-right gives it that feel).

This design is very feminine though - funny how much that shines through (it's a girl's resume). The guy I posted above has a more masculine layout.

--Illah
Oh, that's a beaut!!!!!
Frodo Baggins is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.