• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marf

Registered
Well I have had an E6600 for a couple weeks, running in my P5W DH, and was running some generic value DDR2 RAM, it was 512MB at 533 MHz.

So when i would view CPU-Z It would say my frequency is 267.XX which is half of 533MHz, all is well. Well I recently got my new Dual Channel 2Gig kit DDR2. It is 800MHz, I put it in, and booted up, ran CPU-Z and notice its still running at 267.XX, not 400 which is what I was expecting. I booted into the P5W DH bios, and looked in the advanced options, and couldn't see anything about increasing the memory frequency. So My question is, how can I increase it to the values it was meant to be? Can it be done in the bios? Or do I have to load up AI Booster?

Thanks for your responses in advanced.

If you are not overclocking in bios under Advanced go to Jumperfree configuration. You will have Ai tunning and dram frequency. If you want to ran memory at 800mhz set the dram fequnce value at 800.

Thanks, it worked like a charm. Another question however, my CPU-Z says 5-5-5-16, however my ram is rated at 4-4-4-12 when its on 800MHz, any reason it is so much higher timings? I can post picture of my CPU z if it helps.

marf said:
Thanks, it worked like a charm. Another question however, my CPU-Z says 5-5-5-16, however my ram is rated at 4-4-4-12 when its on 800MHz, any reason it is so much higher timings? I can post picture of my CPU z if it helps.
You will have to set memory timings manually. To do that you go to Advance section of bios. Go to Chipest, you will have option configure dram timing by spd, disable it. It will open aditional options and enter your timmings

if you can set your dram timings, whats to prevent people from doing like 3-3-3-5, or like 1-1-1-1, or would your computer not POST because the ram couldn't do that? or would it actually damage the ram?

marf said:
if you can set your dram timings, whats to prevent people from doing like 3-3-3-5, or like 1-1-1-1, or would your computer not POST because the ram couldn't do that? or would it actually damage the ram?
By setting timings manually you can't damage memory, adding voltage may do that. Setting timings manually below rated may sometimes cause computer not to post or over time memory will corrupt windows and files, sometimes settings will work. You would need memtest to run to check if memory settings are error free. Also increasing voltage might required to make lower timings stable. Usually with DDr2 1-1-1-1 and 2-2-2-2 are almost impossible to obtain.

so If i go in the bios, turn it to the rated timings, 4-4-4-12, there should be no reason to run memtest, because that was tested where they produce them?

marf said:
so If i go in the bios, turn it to the rated timings, 4-4-4-12, there should be no reason to run memtest, because that was tested where they produce them?
Pretty much, but very rarely there are some memory that comes with not error free or goes bad over some time. Also check rated memory voltage that is required with timings that you want to run them at.

Back