• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there a "Too Much" Cpu pressure amount?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Too much is when you no longer see any more benefits and/or you're starting to damage your mounting hardware or motherboard.

Of course there is ... I don't care if it has a silver heatspreader ... if I stand on the thing I can break it. So there has to be a point somewhere below that and a heatsink clipped down on it that is too much pressure.

if its a bare die CPU or GPU, then you have to watch the mounting force used for it, and make sure its mounted perfectly even, not one side before the other, etc.

if its a IHS/heatspreader covered CPU, then it can basically take an unlimited amount of force (meaning via mounting hardware, not standing on it, etc.)

but theres no true "too much" amount of pressure for an IHS covered CPU - just don't tighten it to the point that the mobo begins to bend, or screw threads strip off... use common sense please

Back