• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gaming computer,whats best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manwh0re

Registered
primary purpose of my comp is for urban terror,a quake mod.

what oc'ing would be best,over all fsb,bandwith in the memtest,best timing?

i know all of these things work in conjuction but as a gaming comp,whats the best to get out of it?

is the fsb ever a waste because of cable modem speeds,i mean should i worry about how fast i could make it if the nmodem wont even carry it?

Yup, considering you have an FX-60 your best bang-for-buck would be a newer graphics card. Not that the x850 is terrible ;) but you'll get a lot more out of a new graphics card and be able to run higher res w/ eyecandy.

MadMan007 said:
Yup, considering you have an FX-60 your best bang-for-buck would be a newer graphics card. Not that the x850 is terrible ;) but you'll get a lot more out of a new graphics card and be able to run higher res w/ eyecandy.

what cards are good these days?is sli worth it?from what i have read i can do sli with a modification to the MB i have.

well SLI is mainly for higher resolutions and yes you can do a mod on teh NB to enable SLI. A pair of 7950gts would be enough power for you i think.

White_Pawn said:
well SLI is mainly for higher resolutions and yes you can do a mod on teh NB to enable SLI. A pair of 7950gts would be enough power for you i think.

a pair of 7950's? You know thats 4 gpus and 1200$ right? For games now, the only reason you would need quad sli is if your playing on a gigantic monitor with a big resolution. Other than that, one 7950 will hold you out for a long time. The 7950 is basically a dual core GPU.

What monitor/resolution do you play at? Whats your budget? Etc

"What monitor/resolution do you play at?" <- exellent question
A pair of 7950's would actually be botttlenecked by your CPU.

I'd sugest a single ATI XT1950XTX 512MB and overclock the snot out of it, should be for sale in the next couple weeks.

greenmaji said:

I'd sugest a single ATI XT1950XTX 512MB and overclock the snot out of it, should be for sale in the next couple weeks.

Already for sale.

greenmaji said:
"What monitor/resolution do you play at?" <- exellent question

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
a pair of 7950's? You know thats 4 gpus and 1200$ right? For games now, the only reason you would need quad sli is if your playing on a gigantic monitor with a big resolution. Other than that, one 7950 will hold you out for a long time. The 7950 is basically a dual core GPU.

What monitor/resolution do you play at? Whats your budget? Etc

Originally the guy said 7950GT's, which is a card inbetween the 7900gt and the 7900gtx

But i would suggest getting a x1950xtx, those things are amazing for the price

manwh0re said:

what oc'ing would be best,over all fsb,bandwith in the memtest,best timing?

i know all of these things work in conjuction but as a gaming comp,whats the best to get out of it?

is the fsb ever a waste because of cable modem speeds,i mean should i worry about how fast i could make it if the nmodem wont even carry it?

How much money have you got to throw at this computer?

penguin463 said:
How much money have you got to throw at this computer?

well,i already have every thing in my sig,i dont want to spend too much more unless i can get good results.i thought i was doing good by switching out my 148 opteron and going with the fx-60,$500 later i didnt see much improvement so im a little bummed about spening too much more money.i was able to hit 3.0ghz on the 148,i have not even come close on the fx-60.so i was wanting to know,since i use it for gaming,if getting to 3.0 again is even worth it,or should i be more worried about other things.i know by trying to get the max oc you have to sacrifice timing,which could hurt gaming.i thought i had a decent vid card,so i was nto even thinking about upgrading it,but now i am considering it for sure.

Jeeze, that sucks about the CPU.. I picked up a second hand FX-55 from someone on here and I had it running at 3Ghz on day two. I know others have been able to hit 3G on the FX-60 over at the DFI and XS forums, it is worth a shot finding their posts and checking to see just what they did.

I'm in the same boat as you.. ready to upgrade the card. The x1950xtx is what I have my sights set on. Using the same mobo as you I have the SLi option but the general opinion has kept me from following that path.

Well you can check my sig... i run two 7900gtx's with an FX60 at 3ghz. My graphics cards are at whatever the stock eVGA superclock settings are. like 690 core speed and 880 mem (could be way off i'm at work and these two numbers just stick out in my mind). In 3Dmark06 I get, with the cpu at 3ghz, almost 11k... just depends it's average around 10800. With my cpu at 2.6ghz i was getting around 9600 in 3Dmark06. I'm assuming my cpu has to be my bottleneck because ocing my video cards more gives me little difference in my 3DMark06 score.

As far as getting your FX-60 to 3ghz, it can be tough and it may be possible that yours may not get there. I run at 250X12 with some extra volts (not sure the voltage i'm at work right now but it wasn't much more) and it's stable, that is actually the max mem can go too without extra volts so i guess i just got lucky being able to max both. My temps are around 43 load on my gpu's and 40 idle. My cpu idle's at 39 and under a load goes up to about 43, without the volts it would idle at 35 and go up to 39 under load. It was a lot of work to get my fx-60 to get to 3ghz, i was stuck at 2915 or so for a long time, then i messed with multi's and volts and got it there. I did some reading and i've read that some people got over 3ghz and some couldn't even get there.

Got any info on your current bios settings for you overclock? Maybe i can help, i'm definately not an expert at this but i can maybe give some insight on my experiences with the fx-60

manwh0re said:
well,i already have every thing in my sig,i dont want to spend too much more unless i can get good results.i thought i was doing good by switching out my 148 opteron and going with the fx-60,$500 later i didnt see much improvement so im a little bummed about spening too much more money.i was able to hit 3.0ghz on the 148,i have not even come close on the fx-60.so i was wanting to know,since i use it for gaming,if getting to 3.0 again is even worth it,or should i be more worried about other things.i know by trying to get the max oc you have to sacrifice timing,which could hurt gaming.i thought i had a decent vid card,so i was nto even thinking about upgrading it,but now i am considering it for sure.

hmm...

I would say that if it is at all possible return the FX-60 and get a 4400/4800+

You can OC one of those things to AT LEAST FX-60 speeds

I would just think that you need a new GPU for gaming. as far as a recomendation, I would say that the 1950xtx would be the best choice.

for a mid range card you could go for a 7900gt. I haven't heard a single bad thing about those.

manwh0re said:

says the guy with the fx60 and x850xt in his sig.

are you seriously upgrading for a quake mod? if i remember correctly, i used to get rediculous FPS in that game, with my 9700pro and 2.4ghz p4 willy. :D

Heh yeah i found that funny too, but hey it's his money :). I play lots of oblivion and my setup is definately enough for that. I'm hopefully getting fear soon so i'll give that a try as well.

Back