• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

you know how systerm restore take like 5 gigs of hard drive space. Is there a way that I can delete the old restore points and start fresh?

Goto the system control panel (either Control Panel > System > System Restore TAB / OR WIN Key + Pause/Break Key Then click System Restore TAB)

I slid the % slider to 0 then hit Apply, then checked the Turn off box and hit apply again. Then when you turn it back on, you have no restore points.

I'd think you could probably just turn it off and then back on and have the same effect.

If you are using Windows XP, then it is as easy as:

Right clicking on My Computer > Properties > System Restore Tab > Turn off System Restore on all drives > Apply.

To get restore points back up and running, all you have to do is enable them in the same way.

Raven

No Problem bud.

The system restore feature really does take up a lot of space and can seriously bloat up a system Hard Disk. And, if you have a somewhat older computer, it could surely cause noticeable slow downs. I know that was the case when I was still running my Celly 300A @ 400 with an 8 gig Hard Drive. This was right before I realized that I really had no use for system restore (only used it once with that comp, and it didn't even fix my problem). After that, I turned the feature off, and reserved that space for critical programs. The comp ran like a dream until it began acting up due to heat issues.

raven said:
No Problem bud.

The system restore feature really does take up a lot of space and can seriously bloat up a system Hard Disk. And, if you have a somewhat older computer, it could surely cause noticeable slow downs. I know that was the case when I was still running my Celly 300A @ 400 with an 8 gig Hard Drive. This was right before I realized that I really had no use for system restore (only used it once with that comp, and it didn't even fix my problem). After that, I turned the feature off, and reserved that space for critical programs. The comp ran like a dream until it began acting up due to heat issues.

So getting rid of system restore actually helps that much? How big of a speed difference was there?

cr4zym0nk3y said:
So getting rid of system restore actually helps that much? How big of a speed difference was there?
It was the difference in available free space. Back when I was running my Celly with the 8 gig HD, I tried to keep only the programs that I really needed on it. Eight gigs obviously isn't a lot of space for a Windows XP environment, and so by freeing up the ~1-2 gigs that system restore was taking up, the comp began to boot faster, page faster, and access files faster. The free space gave my computer room to work with, and it also allowed me to defrag more often.

When you have a Hard Drive that is constantly being used (files being created and deleted), it is a must to defragment if you want to keep things running as smooth as possible. And, since the built in Windows defragmenter needs '--A minimum of 15 percent free space on your hard disk--', my only alternative was to get rid of system restore. Back in those days I was frequently running my system down to < 300 megs of free space, and so my only options were to purchase a bigger Hard Drive (which I did get an 80 gig-er when funds permitted) or to free up some space (and I managed to do this by getting rid of system restore).

Back