• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Permissions correct?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Well in an effort to use Slackware on my latop for more general stuff I am trying to set up my thumb drive to play nice with my non-root user. So i want to make sure this is set up right.

Basically I wrote a udev rule that takes any thing from KERNEL named "sd*" and is on the "USB" bus, and put a symbolic link called "remdrive" in /dev. In this rule I have udev assign the /dev/sda1 or "remdrive" the "users" group.

Next I created a folder in /mnt called "thumb", with the group being "users" as well with 0666.

Then I headed over to /etc/fstab and added this line:
/dev/remdrive /mnt/thumb auto noauto,user,rw,sync 0 0

So with all that are they set up right, as far as Groups and stuff? I got tired of sudo'ing up openoffice to access /mnt/hd.

Thanks

Depends on yur filesystem on that little thing. If it's FAT or anything else that doesn't have permissions then no. Only root can access the drive with that setup.

You need to look into uid,gid and umask options for mount. man mount will tell you more.

Yes, but all files on that drive are owned by root if its formatted FAT and no one else can write to it.

Ok I see, yea I formated the drive in windows and I think all the files were written on the drive in windows.

Took a look at the files and folders after the thumb drive has been mounted, here is what I found out.

When mounted, /mnt/thumb changes to Group: users Owner: Brett. The actual files on the drive also change in the same way. Id assume this is correct then.

Back