• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overheating prob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattsterMH

Ok, for the last month my geforce 7900 gt has been at 73 degrees celcius at an average.

I called eVGA and they told me that it's only a problem if it gets in the high 70's.

Now, look.

overheat.jpg

I need to do something.

Check to see if the fan is burned out :rolleyes: My brother did that once, forgot to turn plug the fan in :mad:

Reseat the heatsink, could not be on lopsided or even not on at all... Apply new thermal paste too. If you have the means to, lap the heatsink, takes a couple hours but will definatly help you out.

What card do you have?

I would check the cooler to ensure that it is well mounted(ie. not loose), the fan is running properly, and try bloing out the heatsink with some canned compressed air... it is very surprising the dust buildup and temp diff that can make.

with the stock cooler on mine it would top out around 73 *c but idle at 49ish.... i poped a VF900-CU on there... now its 53/38.... reseat the HS with AS5 and take out the PCI slot covers so theres more airflow.

MattsterMH said:
eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT. (256 MB)

Shame, shoulda went with the KO version, the cooler is hands down a lot better. My only suggestion is to reseat it or simply buy a new cooler. I have heard you can buy the ARCTIC COOLING NV SILENCER 5 REV. 3 VGA COOLER for cheap and mod it, all you have to do it cut off some of the excess ducting off the end of the card, otherwise the mounting holes are the same.

Back