• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

every once in a while my computer makes a weird click, and freezes for half a second

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shrinkydinx

every once in a while my computer makes a weird click, and freezes for half a second

if theres music on, it will buzz for that half second

what could the problem be?

Sounds like the HD... hd choking on something for half a second and windows waiting for it...

xsimatrix said:
1 Terabyte and dual DVD±RW's ... that's all that matters

lol:beer:

well if you want help you might want to give us all the info. It could be any one of a list of hardware issues

i'm 99% sure it's a harddrive issue. i had a computer do the same thing, it ended up being a loose power cable on the hdd itself. tightened it up and it was fine.

check all your connections, wiggle them around and such while it's running.

schnikies79 said:
i'm 99% sure it's a harddrive issue. i had a computer do the same thing, it ended up being a loose power cable on the hdd itself. tightened it up and it was fine.

sound promising....

one time last week my computer mysteriously crashed and wouldnt boot up, and didnt recognize c: i disconnected and reconnected and it worked again...

im transplanting to a new case with new (750w) power supply in the next few days, maybe itll go away
x.gif

It could be an hdd isue, clicking is often a sign of impending harddrive failure, as is unusual slowness in accessing data. Might I suggest running some drive diagnostics and a badblocks/surface scan?

schnikies79 said:

I'm from the old school that says don't mess with connections when power is on. I think it is risky at best. I suggest powering the computer down, then checking connections.

Gnufsh said:
It could be an hdd isue, clicking is often a sign of impending harddrive failure, as is unusual slowness in accessing data. Might I suggest running some drive diagnostics and a badblocks/surface scan?
yeah what should i use?

so twice this morning the following happened:

it made the clicking sound, and then my monitors showed the BSOD that says "widows hit and error and will now shut down" and the computer restarted. then a dialog box came up that said my system has recovered from a serious error, and it sent me to a page on the microsoft website that said:

Hardware failure: replace failed component

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem description

The error was caused by an unrecoverable hardware error which forced the operating system to stop functioning.

Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, unfortunately the error report does not contain enough information to tell us the specific component. More than likely the problem is being caused by problems with one or more of the following computer components:

* Random Access Memory (RAM)
* System board
* Central Processing Unit (CPU)
* Power supply

:( i dont see hard drive as one of the possible culprits, why?

Cause Windows support is a b****

Run chkdisk and such and see what comes up-maybe even disconnect one of your HDD's (assuming you're running 2x 500GB)

if it goes away than you know it was the second drive = bad
if its still there than buy a new drive and do a direct copy from drive to drive and then boot with the new drive

if its STILL there than you have bad mobo/proccy/ram/psu but since the click is coming from the compy only when the HDD is being accessed by music I'm thinkin hdd is bad.

Shadowhawk109 said:
Cause Windows support is a b****

Run chkdisk and such and see what comes up-maybe even disconnect one of your HDD's (assuming you're running 2x 500GB)

if it goes away than you know it was the second drive = bad
if its still there than buy a new drive and do a direct copy from drive to drive and then boot with the new drive

if its STILL there than you have bad mobo/proccy/ram/psu but since the click is coming from the compy only when the HDD is being accessed by music I'm thinkin hdd is bad.
ehh, where is chkdisk?

it wont let me 'run' it

If you have ACPI set to spin down your disk drives it can cause delays like this. Not too common in single drive setups but its pretty common if you've got several disk drives. Either turn it off or turn up the time it waits to shut them off. I'm not too sure about the buzzing, sounds like an unfriendly sound adapter :)

Back