• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a new Wireless Router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I love my wrt54gl which I flashed with hyperwrt. You can flash it with 3rd party firmware to select a brand with which you are more comfortable. I liked the ability to adjust the trasmitting power so my mom's room could receive better signal.

i just put dd-wrt on a wrt54g r5 that i have, and it's working tons better than the linksys crap. your router completely bricked? if there'd be any way you could use it as just an AP and use a smoothwall... :D

if you can get a wrt54gl or g r1-3 or gs, i dont remember which versions of the gs are good.... but one of those should be great. aside from that all i can reccomend would be something PC based like smoothwall, monowall, ipcop, etc.

OkydOky said:
WRT54GS - Non version 5

Use Modified Firmware.

Best thing possible other than your own linux router box..

Yeah the WRT54GS V5 is what I have. Thats what I got from Best Buy last time. Any way to know what version it is before buying it?

Whats everyone think about the D-Link DGL-4300 Wireless Gaming Router? Over priced is what I'm thinking? But I do alot of gaming.

ShawnTRD said:
Yeah the WRT54GS V5 is what I have. Thats what I got from Best Buy last time. Any way to know what version it is before buying it?

The back of the box should say what version it is in the lower right corner I think. It's not in the item description, but in a smaller box with maybe the manufacture date?

ShawnTRD said:

Open it and check? If i walked into a store.. I'd have no problems finding someone who works there and ask them to open it and see. Sometimes you can see the equipment's S/N through a window in the packaging.. can't rememeber if it's the case with these.

You can tell by the serial number. And what it starts with:

WRT54GS v1-v3 serial number start with CGN0 to CGN5
WRT54GS v4 serial number start with CGN6
WRT54GS v5-v6 start with CGN7 and are bad.
So avoid a Serial number starting with CGN7

Little more can be found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperWRT
http://www.thibor.co.uk/

It's very unlikely you can get anything than a v5 or later WRT54G. They all use vx(Not)Works with 2MB flash and 8MB RAM. Older models had 4MB flash and 16MB RAM.

The only choice you probably have is the WRT54GL which still has 4MB/16MB.

This version is easily firmware flashable.

the v5, aside from it's lack of ram and flash, was decent to put on dd-wrt. im stil lwaitin to get the go ahead from its owner, but i wanna (try to) put more ram and possibly the SD mod in the one i have, if it'll be possible on it.

to put the dd wrt on it all i had to do was 3 flashes, in the right order, easy to follow one of the sites with a guide.

There is also a buffulo router that bestbuy sells. It is basicly a WRT54G V4 under a different name and all. Can be flashed to use the dd-wrt firmware.

well one thing is love linksys and ive trust there equipment. I bought a WRT54G and used it for wireless. Ive had no problems with the router. I I were you, I wouldnt buy a router from Bestbuy. If you know which one your getting, go to target or Walmart. The WRT54G was 69.99 at Best buy and at walmart, It was 49.99.

Back