• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When people post their volts what reading do they go by?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

I have noticed that the P5B-Deluxe will consistantly read the voltage lower in CPU-Z than what is set in bios.

I have it set to 1.4v in bios. Bios HW monitor(In bios, not software) states 1.35v and CPU-Z will state 1.35v also. Then when running dual Orthos it'll drop down to 1.336v (is this that volt droop everyone is talking about?).

So what is most likely the actual voltage and what should people post as their voltage?

I usually post my actual measured voltage. The BIOS setting and actual are rarely the same. It's common for motherboards to undervolt a little. Yes, if the voltage drops lower under load, that's "droop".

batboy said:
I usually post my actual measured voltage. The BIOS setting and actual are rarely the same. It's common for motherboards to undervolt a little. Yes, if the voltage drops lower under load, that's "droop".

Well I don't have a DMM anymore and I really don't know how I'd go about measuring actual cpu voltage :confused: So are you talking about what is set in bios?

DumpALump said:
I have noticed that the P5B-Deluxe will consistantly read the voltage lower in CPU-Z than what is set in bios.

I have it set to 1.4v in bios. Bios HW monitor(In bios, not software) states 1.35v and CPU-Z will state 1.35v also. Then when running dual Orthos it'll drop down to 1.336v (is this that volt droop everyone is talking about?).

So what is most likely the actual voltage and what should people post as their voltage?

This drop can be voltage droop. To maintain 1.4v actual, the CPU PWM has to be incredibly beefy(folks add resistors). In reality, droop is a temperature saving feature. The PWM area of a volt modded MB(with no droop) is going to generate ALOT of heat.

That said, alot of folks report voltages from the bios. I usually will specify Actual(measured with a DMM) or bios.

DumpALump said:
Well I don't have a DMM anymore and I really don't know how I'd go about measuring actual cpu voltage :confused: So are you talking about what is set in bios?

Get a DMM form radioshack for 29.99. Then what you do is, go around your MB, and read the back(flat) contact on MOSFETs. Post me a pic of your MB and I will tell you a good area to start reading for vcore, vDRAM ect.

Use the software that comes on your motherboard install CD to read voltage in Windows. That way to can see what idle vs. load voltage looks like. Technically, that's still not perfectly accurate, but it's sure better than just going off the BIOS setting.

RangerXLT8 said:
Get a DMM form radioshack for 29.99. Then what you do is, go around your MB, and read the back(flat) contact on MOSFETs. Post me a pic of your MB and I will tell you a good area to start reading for vcore, vDRAM ect.

If I had my motherboard out on a table I would probably do it, but I think I'll have to pass on messing around in that area while the power is on. I've never had a mishap before with the power on, but theres always a first. Thanks for the help though :D

i go by what asus probe tell me. you know the app that comes with the board?

i find if running over say 1.45v, cpuz just reports it as stock (1.223 or something). asus probe always tells me a more realistic figure. really the only TRUE way of telling is with a DMM like already said.

the vcore drop is normal i think. i have to set 1.5v in bios to get 1.43v as reported by asus probe.

Back