• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold cathode question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vaio

I have a project going at the moment that will require me to run two dual cold cathode kits from a wall plug. I have an inverter that puts out 12v dc 300mA. Would this be enough to run the two kits? I would most likely be using the Cooler Master Ultra Aurora kits, if that makes a difference. If this will not be enough, if someone knows of where I could find a cheap inverter that would power them, I would greatly appreciate a link to it.

Thanks,
Vaio

If you're running it from the wall, can't you skip the whole converter(ACtoDC)/inverter(DCtoAC) crap since the lights need AC power anyway?

300mA for 4 cathodes? I don't think so. You can use any PC power supply just by shorting two pins.

I can't use a PSU for this, as I don't have an extra one. Also I don't think the inverter works like that. I think it ramps the voltage way up to power the cathodes.

budget? caus geeks.com has some apower 400 watt for like $13.

other than that... i dont think 300 ma will be enough, to be sure if you have a multi meter set it to current and cut the positive wire and put the probes to each side (Refer to MM instructions) and set it to A / mA and measure it, then multiply by 2 and thats how much current youll need from the power supply.

I was kinda hoping to stick to just the cost of the cathodes, but I might have to consider that. I'll just have to make a remote switch for it, and find somewhere to mount it. If I were to buy or find a useable PSU, would it be ok to just cut the two wires that you need to jump to fire it up, and solder a switch in there?

Um, don't cathodes themselves run at like 300V? Miniscule current of course. Are you using the inverter that came with them (12V input)?

L337 M33P said:
Um, don't cathodes themselves run at like 300V? Miniscule current of course. Are you using the inverter that came with them (12V input)?
Yes. I was looking to wire them into an inverter that plugs into the wall, so I could just run them like that, instead of setting up a PSU for it.

Back