• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D805 vs 524

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JackNSally

Okay, looking into new system to hold me over till the C2D e4300 comes out... anyway, my question is, which processor would...

a)give better all around performance
b)overclock higher
c)and should I run the memory/fsb 1:1?

I ask these questions and i'm thinking the D805 would probably be the best bang for the buck, especially seeing as on the egg the 524 cost $4 less than the D805.

for sure 805. even a poor overclocker should give you 3.4-3.6ghz. seems like a fun cpu to oc, and dual core is always nice. ")

running 1:1 will not be a problem at all, since it starts at 133fsb. i would actually run the ram faster than the fsb, it should provide some gains.

So for memory, go with some ddr2 667? I'm thinking corsair twinx 2x512. looks like decent timings with 1.8 volts. For C2D run it 1:1?

if you want ram for a future c2d, you need to think of the multi you will have, and what kind of MHZ you want out of the cpu.

for a cpu like mine, you need ram that can run 1:1 at very high fsb, because there is no downward deviders with the 965 chipset.

if you were going to go for a e6400, i would look for ram that can do 450-470mhz.

for a e6600, any ram that will do 400mhz will get you to 3.6ghz on the cpu.

ddr-667 is OK, provided it is d9 chips on em, and they oc like mad. you can buy ram twice, once for this setup, and once later, or you can buy ram that will work with both rigs, and ddr2 prices seem to be going up for some reason.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
if you want ram for a future c2d, you need to think of the multi you will have, and what kind of MHZ you want out of the cpu.

for a cpu like mine, you need ram that can run 1:1 at very high fsb, because there is no downward deviders with the 965 chipset.

if you were going to go for a e6400, i would look for ram that can do 450-470mhz.

for a e6600, any ram that will do 400mhz will get you to 3.6ghz on the cpu.

ddr-667 is OK, provided it is d9 chips on em, and they oc like mad. you can buy ram twice, once for this setup, and once later, or you can buy ram that will work with both rigs, and ddr2 prices seem to be going up for some reason.

Yeah? Well I'm running the Corsair TwinX2 64000 2x512 Cas5s... with no D9 mind you... and I get at LEAST 900mhz out of them on stock volts. AND they're pretty... so pretty.

I highly... HIGHLY recommend them. They're all that and a lifetime warranty. Corsair even encourages you to throw more volts into them and overclock them. Best of all... for all those boards that don't work with 2.1v memory out of the box, these run at 1.8, but I'm told they handle 2.1 just fine. (Various people have sent emails to corsair asking if their chips would run at that voltage and corsair has responded: "Yes.")

I think the fastest I've run mine was around 475 so far Not bad for memory I only paid 120 bucks for...

yeah not bad. timings a bit high tho ;)

my point was lost on you. he's talking about ddr2-667. he needs to find some that will overclock to the speeds you are talking about.

the teamgroup stuff comes to mind.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
yeah not bad. timings a bit high tho ;)

my point was lost on you. he's talking about ddr2-667. he needs to find some that will overclock to the speeds you are talking about.

the teamgroup stuff comes to mind.

DOH! Why does this always happen to me anywhere after 4am... And why do I wake up in the middle of the night...

Anyway. Just for the hell of it... A PIC!

Somehow my computer doesn't NOTICE how high my timing is at this speed.

But in that case (much like dominick... whom I was all over until I realized I agreed with him) I agree with you :) Don't get DDR 667 ram. Greenmaji talked me into getting at least DDR 800 ram and boy was he ever right...

Attachments

• 475x7.JPG
    475x7.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 114
I was looking at these 2 sets of ram. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16820220094,N82E16820145535
I'm looking at in the future getting the C2D e4300 and running it at around 3GHz (if the info is correct on the e4300, it has a 9x multi). Maybe more, depends on how much the ram oc's. But running it 1:1 my ram would be at 333...so I was just thinking it would be good because that would be at the rams stock speeds.

i've heard good things about that patriot ram. i tried to buy some myself actually, just can't find it in Canada. i would do some googling about it before you actually buy tho. as far as i remember hearing, it should do ddr2-800.

if you are only aiming for 3ghz from a e4300, then yes, ddr2-667 would fit perfectly. but i would personally try to get some ram that would allow for a bit more than that. you never know, you may want 3.2ghz later on. i think that patriot ram would get you there.

can't say i know much about the corsairs, except that they are quite a bit more expensive.

I don't know about that... Like I said, I paid 120 bucks for my 2x512 6400 CAS5s... And I've already posted my results.

Again: DO NOT GET DDR 667. I was going to get DDR667s myself. Somebody talked me out of it. I'm glad they did. I wouldn't be able to do DDR 940 right now if they hadn't. I can probably do up to DDR 1000 now. You THINK you won't need that speed... but you never know.

Back