• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question regarding Antec Sonata II cases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Party_Animal

Hey,

I'm new to the forum(although I have been lurking for a couple weeks) and I have a question which relates both to the Antec Sonata II case and watercooling, so I didn't know which forum to post in exactly. The case comes with a "CPU ducting system," which is basically a black plastic tube designed to funnel the hot air from the CPU out of the case. It also includes two fan mounts, one recommended to blow downward onto the CPU, and one near the video card for active VGA cooling. Now, my question is: Would it make sense, aside from price of course, to install those 2 fans(one 92mm and one 80mm), or remove the plastic duct all together and run a watercooled setup? Everything listed in my signature is at stock speeds as I just built it a week ago, and I know this processor's reputation for being rather hot.(42-43*C idle, 48-50*C 100% load) I also realize that the motherboard is somewhat....limited at overclocking. Sooo....to make an overly long post short: Is it going to be worthwhile to invest in a watercooled setup because of the limitations of my motherboard, or should I just mount the 1 or 2 fans, and enjoy the relative(but smaller) drop in temperature? Feedback would be greatly appreciated, and if I didn't leave enough info in my signature, please let me know, and I will fill you in. Thank you.

Well if you were going to oc hardcore, then i say go for the water cooling, but since you arent, then save money and get better air cooling.

You can ditch the duct tho. It hampers airflow. Get a few good 120mm and you're good to go.

If I ditch the duct, it reduces the number of fans available by 2....and one of them is mounted in the very front of the case, which isn't open to allow air in......:confused:

I'll probably mount the 2 fans and see how the temps are after that. 2 fans will only run me like 15-20 bucks anyways. If they don't improve much, I'm tossing the damn duct in the garbage, it's a pain in the *** to take out every time I make hardware changes anyways. That way, I'll have as much room as I want to throw in a giant hsf/fan if need be.

Back