• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 Pro @ XT to X800GTO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

downer

I'm looking at the Sapphire X800GTO AGP on newegg listed for $130, as a possible upgrade to my 9800 Pro. Currently I have my 9800 Pro flashed with an XT bios and clocked to 432/398. I generally play CS, TFC, CS:S, BG2, HLDM, and AA. I play at 1280x1024 and sometimes I'm forced to play at 1600x1050 if I have my LCD hooked up. I'd like to be able to play HL2 comfortably at 1600x1050. Would the x800gto improve my frame rates enough to warrant spending $130? Current system specs are in my sig.

I don't really think it's worth it. You'd see a difference, but it wouldn't justify the $130. If I were you, I'd try to get a 16pp used product.

dan

If its the flashable to 16 pipes, then yes its worth it. The X850, O/Ced spanked the 9800Pro. I would try and find a GTO2 to make sure 16 pipes are ready to rock.

the x800 gto agp is a r420 core not r480 like the x800gto2 and x850's. The sapphire x800gto will unlock, heck most even come with 16 pipes out of the box according to recent reviews, but the heatsink is horrible. If you are looking at this card if you replace the heatsink and you should be able to hit x800xtpe speeds without to much heat.

Also the r420 core does not overclock as well as the r480 does. If you have the money this might be worth an upgrade but it depends on what you want to do with it.

What games does your current card choke in that you play, what resolution do you play at, and how long do you plan on keeping your system?

I play at 1280x1024 on my CRT, but If I have my LCD hooked up I play at 1650x1050. I play America's Army, and the FPS are pretty playable even at 1650x1050. My FPS in Hl2, and its mods could use a nice boost. I have to play with the details set on low when I play CS:S, HLDM, and Battlegrounds 2 at 1280x1024. The only other games I play are CS, DOD, and TFC. Those are fine of course.

What do you guys think about the 7600gt for $172 or the 6800gs for $140 after rebate as other options?

Last edited:
I think that the x800gto would be a worthwhile upgrade and for those games at that res anything much more powerfull might be overkill. Basically HL2 is the only game that will see any improvement out of that list, as everything else sounds playable. With the x800gto unlocked you should be able to play on max res with some eye candy.

I have both the XFX 7600 GT XXX ed. and the Powercolor X800 GTO, The 7600 GT will definately play CS:S at 60 FPS or higher with HDR and 8x Aniso plus all the other shiny effects. The X800 GTO I have could play at about ~30-45 on similar settings. It also died soon after because the waterblock wass mounted on correctly =(. I had one with the X850 XT Core, and the one I got back after the Newegg RMA had R420 =(.

drop cash'ola on a top end card .. specially since your looking for something spectacular in a move from 9800pro to 800gto..

not gonna get what you want in my opinion.. an extra week or two wont kill you.. save and spend .. then enjoy peacefully

If your really wanting to go with the X series of ATI's card, I suggest you save up and go for an X850XT. Rather than playing roulette hoping that you can find a card with the 16 pipelines unlocked. The X850XT is the bigger brother of the X800GTO. It was the high end of the last generation, but it can still rock hard. Even though it lacks Open EX HDR and SM 3.0, you will notice a definite upgrade. If not save your money and try getting a GeForce 7900GS, 7600GT, or a ATI X1800GTO. Believe me, the X800GTO is ok, but you could do alot better with a little more money. Also getting more bang for your buck. I have a EVGA 7600GT CO and have been able to play almost every game ranging from Half Life 2 to Hitman Blood Money with max settings. My preference for resolution is 1152X865, but am very happy and satisfied with the card. In about 6 months, I will upgrade to an X2 or an FX-55 and get an SLI mobo. Perhaps the Asus A8N. So yeah it's going to be good. Not to mention with more than acceptable frame rates. But I honestly dont think I can hold 60fps continously on every little game.

Back