• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

milano_chris

Hi guys,

2 days ago when shutting down my PC it abrubtly BSODs. I couldn't do ****zle to get it working again and the Windows Setup wouldn't allow me to repair it. I tried the ASR console, but since the BSOD was so quick I couldn't see what the problem was.

I though bugger this and reinstalled my OS again. Everything was fine till today. Since I only have SP 1 there were about a gazillion updates to download. Installed some today, mostly they were the normal security update blah blah but one was a GDI detection tool. Don't recall seeing this one before? Anyway I installed them all and rebooted the PC, only to be confronted by a reboot loop. WTF I thought.

Tried last known, safe mode etc and no joy.

So I go to install the OS again. Well, it was going fine till it wanted to check my second partition on my RAID 0 array and chkdsk found a load of errors. Seemingly it sorted it all and continued. Then I get another BSOD during the gay screens with time remaining, Windows is awsome etc.

After the reboot it wouldn't load telling me I should attempt a repair of the Windows CD. This, however doesn't work. I go to boot of the CD and it does the old hardware check, then bugger all. Black screen and no activity. Tried both optical drives too and no joy.

Also, on start up if I hammer F8 as you do, then it presents me with two OS's to choose from, one crashes and the other is non responsive.

So now I'm stuck with a load of balls, erm I mean a seemingly faulty RAID 0 array and a windows CD that won't install windows.

System Specs:

AMD 64 3700+ Sandiego
ASUS A8N32-SLI
2 BG Corsair TwinX
2 x 160BG Samsung SATA drives in Stripe
XFi Fatil1ty
2X 7900 GTX 512's in SLI

Any idea's chaps? I'm bloody miffed, and annoyed that I foolishly didn't back up my 60 GB of data that I really can't be doing with loosing from my second non windows partition.

I really hope my RAID 0 array isn't shagged

NVidia RAID utility reports it as healthy...

Please help.

Sure sounds like your array is corrupted. This is why I never have anythign I want to lose on raid 0. Can you get into the raid settings and see if it has any information on raid status or diagnostics you could run?

CGR said:
Sure sounds like your array is corrupted. This is why I never have anythign I want to lose on raid 0. Can you get into the raid settings and see if it has any information on raid status or diagnostics you could run?

I think that's the case :bang head

I've just individually disconnected the drives and on each one the windows cd boots.

Damn, any way I can get my data or am I screwed?

There may be utilities that can help get your data off, but I am unsure about what you could use. I have never needed to rescue data from a radi 0 array. :(

Right data is lost.

Now I'm at a loss again.

Managed to get XP installed on one of the Drives in a non RAID setup - ie bog standard SATA. That worked fine.

I'm now running of that drive and it appears to be a ok.

Now, I've plugged the second drive in. First off diskman didn't see it. I then installed the chipset drivers and it came up. But the thing is - I can't format it.

I've tried the right click method, and it tells me there's an error.

If I use diskman to do it then it appears as if it's formatting, but I don't get a progress bar, and it just hangs.

Any ideas? Reckon the drive is faulty?

Back