• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Used Vapo LS, insulation issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NuBie

Registered
I recently bought a used VapoChill LS unit off ebay, (don't tell me I'm stupid, I already knew that!) anyway it seems like its in pretty fair shape but a few things concern me that I need advice on.

1. The unit when first recieved had a cat stuck inside, ( not litterally ) but the condenser sucked with a layer of that dirty ciggarette smoke filth grime that I've found in smokers' computers' heatsinks in the past, and there was a coating of dust and cat hair inside the unit that I took an air compressor to for about a half our to completely de-schloktify it.

2. The evaporator head looked like tarnished over with a layer of black/greenish crud that gradually loosened and now is nearly all off after an hour or two of using vinegar and cotton cloth to polish it (very slowly). Now that looks pretty good, but could get a little better, meanwhile I was looking at the setup instructions and got to concern number 3 (the main concern). Some of the fittings also were rusty, specifically the riser posts that attach to the back heat plate that is a little bent and a screw looks to have pressed in to the foil/coil layer that is stuck to the slightly bent back plate(fortunately it did not break the circuit of heating coils but close enough because there is some minor indentation where a spring pressed into the coiled layer laminate)

3. Biggest concern is the evap head enclosure; It looks like the piece of foam just forces down around the top of the clamshell, but doesn't really make an air tight seal -- should this be this way by design? I'm just a little worried that I'll end up with a condensation problem if this is supposed to create a better seal than pushing it down into the clamshell and praying. I'm thinking I'm going to use plastic zip ties to force it down in the top of the clamshell and hold it in place, and perhaps add another layer of foam that covers over this piece and the top of the evap clamshell to try to keep it better insulated and air tight but I'm just not sure? Its like if I don't do anything, I could slip the current piece of insulation right up at will, and that doesn't seem like it should be able to be done by design, though I might be wrong, and often am!

What is that?

Can you explain further? Elaboration is necessary!

Is there something I can pump in around the top brick where the current insulation just sorta buts up against but really doesn't make a convincing seal; like floam to insulate it better at the top of the brick area; something that is safe...

Add some seal string, or a layer of armaflex tape then maybe a bonding agent between foam n block.

Back