• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Half-Life 1: Your Thoughts & Experiences

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Route44

I have never played the game before but I've surfed the web to know that there are many players that absolutely love the game. The thing is I am not a big fan of FPS's but I've heard that HL1 has an excellent story line and thus I might give it a go.

I can pick up the HL1 anthology for $19.00. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks.

It's your duty to have played Half Life! It's a great game, and the 1990s revolutionizer of the FPS-genre.

Definatly a great game. Hours of fun. Might not look perty to todays standards but it has a good story and is fun and thats what counts.

HL2 does have HL1 standard with it downloadable with the updated version of it actually. Its definatly worth it.

Yensen said:
It's your duty to have played Half Life! It's a great game, and the 1990s revolutionizer of the FPS-genre.

Perhaps early 90's but it doesn't hold a candle to Quake 3 in the late 90's.

Definitely one of the greatest single player games of all time, but there's more to it than that. Millions have played the mods that came after the release of it, and still play them today.

lemings said:
Perhaps early 90's but it doesn't hold a candle to Quake 3 in the late 90's.

uhm... what? quake isn't really classified in the same type of game, considering half life spawned counterstrike and tons of other mods i fail to see where your comment holds any water...

Yes get Half Life 2 GOTY(Game of the Year) edition. It comes with Half Life 1 Source. Slightly updated graphics. Play through that, then hit up half life 2 you won't be disappointed. Although i liked #2 a lot more then 1 for overall gameplay, but 1 still holds much of my nostalgia

Definately play half-life, I played it multiple times and I freakin' loved it. I'm about to do the same with Half-life 2. Easily the best single player game of that era.

I agree with boris on this one also, Q3 isn't really the same type of game as HL. Not really too much for comparison there...

HL1 + HL2 + HLE1 (Episode1) = a must have played for any/all gamers .

Probably one of the most renowned series to date . :attn:

Best computer game ever.

Unlike most people here, I couldn't give a rats about graphics so it's just fine. Great gameplay and a great storyline.

I'm still addicted to playing Opposing Force.

I played HL1 for the first time 5 years after it came out. The graphics weren't great but it was still the best FPS I've ever played. HL2 was inferior in terms of story and atmosphere, albeit a good game anyway. You MUST play this game. :D

Half Life 1 is a DEFINATE must play, seriously =P

I remember being stuck in xen for forever, then i dropped and tried it 6 months later and somehoe managed it

Being stuck in a room with 10 or so guys with no ammo and like 20 health= bad news >.<

redrumy3 said:
love half-life 1 still play from time to time :) i thought it was harder than hl2 :shrug:

I agree, it was harder. A lot more traps and stuff that would just outright kill you, and a lot more puzzles.

I don't know about the anthology package, but I bought the Platinum edition a few years ago, which came with - Half Life:GOTY Edition, Opposing Force (HL's expansion pack), Counter-Strike, and Team Fortress Classic.
This game is definately one of the best shooters of all time, great story, great gameplay, and great graphics (in it's day)... I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is a DX 6 game isn't it? I remember buying this game and playing it on my Intel Pentium III 500mhz Slot A with 128 MB PC100 and a 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16MB AGP... whew, that used to be a wicked gaming system back then ;)

Someone mentioned that Half Life 2 : Game of the Year Edition has the origional Half Life game on there too??? I own HL2:GOTY, but have never ben able to play it, since I only have 56K, the game tries to download something when you first try to run it, and it never would seem to finish...

Half Life 2 GOTY comes with Half Life 1 :Source... it's the same game upgraded with a new engine so everything is rendered smoother and better. I don't believe it comes with the expansions, but they were IMO nothing special and not worth my time to play(even though i love the half life series to death).

I just did a check online and it seems that in February, 2007 they will be releasing a Half-Life Plantinum Collection that includes everything including expansions released for both 1 and 2. Cost: $50.00. Perhaps I'll wait until then.

Back