• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SONY drops price of PS3 $100 BEFORE lauch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

THis is Japan only, sorry. They know they're in trouble. This is good for consumers but will almost be a granted vote of no confidence on Wall Street and the NYKA/Japan stock market (sp???) Hopefully SOMY will finally "get it" and this trend will follow to North America and Europe. As for now now price but yet. Expect MS to follow suit.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34550

It's all over the net, you don't have to take INQ's word on this one.

Last edited:
Wow the console wars seem to be making Japan ground zero, Microsoft giving Japan price cuts to get 360's into homes and Sony now feeling they might lose some of their blind faith followers there. I also wonder if Universals announcement of dropping Blu-ray had anything to do with this. Regardless of who's doing it price cuts are always good for the consumer.

Midnight Dream said:
Confirmed here: http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/09/22/0652257.shtml
For thos who are leery of The Inquierer.

I think Sony is just grasping for what they can now.

Dude, anyone else read this line

Slashdot article said:
Sony announced HDMI ports will be included on ALL models of the PS3. Initially, Sony was worried that if they put the HDMI in the lower version, some would complain about having to pay for something they don't want. Apparently they realized people would be more upset without it

Haha, adding HDMI on both cheap and expensive version.

they seem to really be grasping. Price cuts before its out, Sudden changes in the hardware at the literal LAST MINUTE.

man, with all these sudden changes, no wonder they pushed back the release in other country's till march.

This is absolutely great news. The only way they could F this up is if the 16 gb/s bug is true, if the blu-ray drive is way too slow (not sure what transfer rates on the BR drive they used are), some other unforseen hardware problem comes up or (WORST OF ALL) if they F us over by not reducing the price in other markets.

Its cool that Japan gets all Sony's love when it come to launch dates, but the pricing thing has to be universal or I'm going to be ****ed (somewhere near the $430 USD Japan is paying).

Great news!!!

ps I know ms didn't reduce prices here like they did in Japan, but they couldn't give em away there so its completely different.

The price reduction was surprising, and the inclusion of the HDMI port on the low end version was a very good move imo. :) This certainly makes things more interesting.

Now what I wonder is if any folders here are going to go PS3 crazy and buy a PS3 farm for folding :p Comparing it to a pc a PS3 should deliver more performance than anything for the price, and its power consumption may not be too bad either.

So does anyone have an accurate list of what both systesm come with now? Is the only difference between high and low the the 20 Gb HDD vs. the 60 GB HDD and cables/controller options?

Yes so you do. This is good news for the buyers, though I hope Sony dosn't fold on this one. Losing Sony in the Gaming Market could really affect how the other brands push themselves.

tenchi86 said:
Yes so you do. This is good news for the buyers, though I hope Sony dosn't fold on this one. Losing Sony in the Gaming Market could really affect how the other brands push themselves.

Well, Sony took Sega out of the console market so I say lettem get crushed.

They kept losing money due to their marketing dept being a bunch of complete imbaciles. The DreamCast along with the TG16 are still my favourite consoles to date, but the 360 will take their place if MS continues on the path they have so far.

FudgeNuggets said:
Don't forget the chrome strip... gotta have the BLING!!! :rolleyes:

I just hope to high heaven there is never a 50 Cent edition. I'd definitely put nine bullets in that, yo. :mad:

dfonda said:
Especially since we all know this most likely costs less than a dollar to make. Than they charge $99 for a cable for it.:rolleyes:

Well yes console makers always like to screw you on peripherals. Perfect example: Xbox360 Hard Drive £70. When I can get a 80GB 2.5" Drive for £60.

dfonda said:
Especially since we all know this most likely costs less than a dollar to make. Than they charge $99 for a cable for it.:rolleyes:

You can use a standard HDMI cable from any vendor.

Back