• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X1900XT and artic silver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bill_k123

Registered
Just took off my factory heat sink and noticed the thermal pads on the ram do not make good contact. I'm going to put some artic silver on the gpu but can you also put some on the ram. Thaks for the help.

You can put it on anything... but remember, if the heatsink was useing heatpads, you may have to put in a copper spacer or something because of the gap.

Also, remember to wiggle it while pushing down so the AS5 is evenly applied as thinly as possible with a little around the edges, or as I have my processor... surround the whole chip so you make contact with the sides as well as the top.

But only do that if you have the exposed circuits protected, even though AS5 does not conduct, it is slightly capacitive so it'll interfere with anything.

I only use cremaque on vid cards...and as5 on cpu's, just to be safe. Let me know how it goes though, cause I want to take off my stock one and put some good tim under it :)

iLLestOne said:
I only use cremaque on vid cards
Baah, you baby, I put liquid gallium on my CPU and have AS5 slapped all over my stuff... I once even tried liquid mercury on my GPU, worked great, never doing it again even with all of the precautions I took.

And remember, OC that bugger a little bit.

yeah puttin' the paste on your chips is fine. It's in your chips you gotta worry about.
Like Shell, be carefull about that paste comming out the sides stuff. If your going to do that atleast use ceramique or something.

Well I put some AS5 on the ram. Now the card was never a good overclocker but now it's going nuts around 85C. Was hoping the AS would drop temps a little but doesn't look like it did, yet. Maybe let is sit overnight. Idle at55c and load 86c until the card shuts off. the card never went nuts before due to high temps. I've had it up to 98C without a glitch. I have it at default3d clocks also. Well if it doesn't get any better than I'm off to get a Accelero. Any ideas. Thanks for al the input guys, much aprreciated.

memory temperature only trivially affects overclocks. People have put their memory on phase loops before and not gained a single mhz in memory clocks. Any gains you might have are through secondary pcb cooling effects and its highly unlikely that it would be noticable on air. Cooling the memory does preserve it's lifespan to some degree, however.

Have the fan turned up and voltages up...Can't quite hit 700 on the core and anything over 775 memory shuts the card down. Temps with fan up under load are still around 80c. Better thanthe 90+ I had before.

Ya, I have AS5 + thermal epoxy in the corners under my swiftech ramsinks, didn't get any more out of them, but they are cooler to the touch. ...Ofcourse, my load temps on the cpu are 48-50*c, and that can change the ram temps too.

bill_k123 said:
Have the fan turned up and voltages up...Can't quite hit 700 on the core and anything over 775 memory shuts the card down. Temps with fan up under load are still around 80c. Better thanthe 90+ I had before.

1.2ns memory will do that to you on those memory clocks. You just weren't fortunate to get 1.1ns ram chips.:burn:

Wellthis is the ran I have. SAMSUNG k4j52324Qc-8J11...Is this 1.1ns ram. Thought it was.

How do you get up to 98C on these cards? Do you have the fan at the lowest possible settings? I remember my X1900XTs never went above 60C on stock cooling. I put AS5 on both the GPU and the ram when I took the stock cooler off. With ramsinks it seemed to cool the ram better.

well the newer cards must somehow be hotter or something because im using the stock cooler and @ stock settings it hit 93c load. that scared me so i applied as5, lapped the core contact plate and the result was 82c load. these cards pump out so much heat... i swear

With the AS5 applied I only hit around 82C at %100 fan speed. Before I applied AS5 it would easily hit 90C+. Yes these things put out a lot of heat. My 850Xt was no different. Winter is coming here in Texas or what we call winter so my space heater ( aka. X1900XT ) should keep me warm. Until the 100 degree days return. :bang head

I don't think it's possible to get over 70c with 100% fan speed unless your case circulation is terrible and your ambient room temperature is extremely hot. The stock coolers are good, just loud.

I get the same temps with my case closed or open. Room temp is usually about 78F give or take a few. My card idles at 50C and doesn't take much time to get to and well over 70C at %100 fan speed.

Back