• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Line Monitoring Tool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wyno

I am having issues with my wireless internet provider. I need a tool that checks internet connection about every minute or so and keeps a log. I want to check the log and see if I can pinpoint the problem. Such as time down and time back up and how long it was lost. Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

#!/bin/bash
while (1)
{
if -e [ ping -t 4 www.google.com ]
{
echo "Timeout detected @ " $TIME
}
sleep 5
}

Or similar - I'm not too up on bash scripting so I could be talking a load of codswallop, but all you want is to
1) Ping something
2) if it works, wait 5 seconds
3) If it fails echo something to the terminal or send an email or DO_SOMETHING()
4) If you're feeling really clever start a counter of pings missed.

I am not sure I really understand what you are talking about. If I can set it up to send a ping like every minute or so and walk away that is what I am looking for. If I have to do it manually then thats not what I want

This might be overkill, but it is pretty easy. In enterprise networks we use monitoring tools to get alerts whenever something goes down or has some other issue. One that I have used, and offers a free trial, is SNMPc. You can download and install it, then just set it up to monitor your internet connection. It will keep a log of all events that happen in the period you have it running. It will tell you motr or less exactly when it went down and when it came back up.

As you probably don't know what router your ISP ahs you connecting it to just add an instance of say the DNS server they want you to use, or google, or anything that would force it to use the internet. If it goes down, you can't reach it. A log entry will be made.

I appreciate the help ErikD but I will be honest. That program has me totally confused. I downloaded and installed it but I have no idea what I am doing.

I got Look@Lan running now. I am trying it. Not sure if it logs when I loose ISP though.

open a command prompt and type
Code:
ping www.google.com -t > pinglog.txt
it will ping repeatedly until you press ctrl-c. It will save all output to pinglog.txt (I believe it will create that file in My Documents) which you can look over later.

Back