• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the sweet FSB for the 8KHA+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spirits247

Registered
What's your sweet FSB for the 8KHA+?

Although I can run my 8KHA+ at 166 and even higher, I have soft reboot problems at this speed - I need to hit the reset button to kick the system back to life. Power on and off and stability however, are 100% ok. I have had one or two rare but strange instances while running this high however.

Since this reboot issue kicks in around 151-5 FSB onwards, I've decided that the sweet spot for this board is the 150 mark for my set-up (I also like rounded numbers :) )

It runs flawlessly at this speed, and although I crank it up to 166 for video encoding and other CPU intensive tasks, 150 is the FSB I put forward as the perfect running speed for the best ratio of performance/stability and problem free operation of the 8KHA+.

What's the overall best FSB you've found?

In other words, what’s the sweet spot for your board?

Last edited:
I think you will find that what is one persons "sweet spot" won't always be yours. There are many other factors involved, such as:

What type, brand, and amount of memory you/they are running.

How many, and what kind of PCI cards you/they have, and in what slots they are put into.

Your cooling is another big factor.

I can clock my memory up to 180mhz, but the puter won't run for long at that speed. My mobo, with my configuration runs best/fastest @ 164mhz.

Remember, any computer, no matter how fast you have it clocked, isn't really fast if it's crashing, and you're loosing work!

Your sweet spot will be just that, YOURS!

Just my $.02

Doctor

Yes, but overall a pattern usually emerges for a particular board.

For example, the old KT7A ran best at 140 FSB. The majority of people I saw ran at this speed, with very few getting past 145 or running lower than 138.

With my very old socket 7, people found a sweet spot around 112, with fewer falling either side of this figure.

I realise that everyone has different set-ups, but when you don't have limiting factors like me (can hit 166 plus FSB) then a sweet spot for the board can be found. It's just a matter of getting enough people to vote. :)

The soft reboot issue is very common with the 8kha+, no matter the BIOS chip revision.
Over 150FSB, about everyone has to hit the reset button in order to reboot.
It isn't related to the "sweet spot".
Your sweet spot depends on your own setup.
Mine, I can run 10.5 x 152, or 10 x 161, but no higher (until the Vcore mod) :D

I've been at 10X160 for a solid week now without a reboot since putting that system together last Friday.

Stuck it together, installed Windows and it's been crunching SETI ever since...

Back