• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing a second DVI-D for 7800GS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Asmodeus

Registered
Hey folks. I did a search on here to see if anyone has taken their 7800gs AGP and modded it to include a second DVI-D connector. Basically I was looking at mine and thought if I could desolder the stock 15-pin vga connector and resolder a second DVI-D connector that I would have a dual DVI 7800gs.

If you look at the 7800gs you can see where the acccomodation for a second DVI-D connector are. It also looks like the traces are connected to this holes too. Is this a doable thing or am I wasting my time? Thought maybe someone here has done it or is contemplating it. Let me know. Thanks.

I doubt it will work. Usually they will use the same PCBs, but many of the other required components are missing. You could try, but it probably wont work.

Isnt dvi digital and vga analog... so you would need to convert the vga signal to digital for that to work?

I agree with the other two posts. D-sub is analog and DVI is digital so that will be a big problem. And you can try but it probably won't work unless you figure out all the right points to pick up the signal before it's converted to analog - whre it would then pass through the D-sub connector. I'm not even sure if that's possible.

Like the other 3 have said, going digital from analog from the same points would most likely not show you results (If it would even work.) Hence why they make digital and analog T.V's different connectors. I would save the headache of bridging 2 points or heart ache of gettin the board too hot and frying something. I would just get a card with Dual-DVI on it already; which if you do it and screw something up, there is your option.

CrackerD|ce said:
Like the other 3 have said, going digital from analog from the same points would most likely not show you results (If it would even work.) Hence why they make digital and analog T.V's different connectors. I would save the headache of bridging 2 points or heart ache of gettin the board too hot and frying something. I would just get a card with Dual-DVI on it already; which if you do it and screw something up, there is your option.

I understand what you are saying, but if you look at the 7800gs you can see the pin holes for another DVI connector already on PCA itself and you can see that the traces are going to those holes. I would imagine that the traces to the 15 vga are going to carry a different signal than the ones going to the unoccupied DVI pin holes. There is no point (at least in my mind from a manufacturing point of view) make holes for a DVI connector and run traces to it if you never intended to have a DVI connector there to begin with, but they are there and they are connected.

I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens. Since I'm running a Samsung 243T on the 7800GS driving another LCD off of it might be overkill, but I like overkill.

By the way do any of you know where I can pick up a DVI connector from? :D

jmh547 said:
Isnt dvi digital and vga analog... so you would need to convert the vga signal to digital for that to work?

Look at the card. It's already provisioned for a DVI connector with the pin holes already there and apparently connected. The traces for the 15 pin vga are analog signals, but I doubt that the traces going to the pin holes for the DVI are analog too. I was just wondering if anyone has done this yet, but from the look of it, it hasn't been done or someone tried it and it didn't turn out to be true. Either way, I would like to try it and report back unless someone beats me to it.

Back