• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new rig some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depends, what are you going to use your rig for? Just web browsing, chat, email, etc? If so, then a 512x2 kit for 1gig should be fine. If your going to be playing any games, multi tasking, editing, etc, 2 gigs is what you need.

Whats your budget?

If overclocking, look for TeamGroup sticks of ram, you can find them over at tankguyz.biz (seems to be down for me right now). But, genernaly Corsair is very good ram, and so is OCZ.

Some games (C&C red alert 2) nothing crazy. Downloading movies music school work ect.What fsb should the ram be also.. I just hate when I start multi tasking like playing mygamesand D/Ling torrents and my pc starts bogging drasticly. Also seeing this is a fairly new cpu how does it oc?

IamME said:
Some games (C&C red alert 2) nothing crazy. Downloading movies music school work ect.What fsb should the ram be also.. I just hate when I start multi tasking like playing mygamesand D/Ling torrents and my pc starts bogging drasticly. Also seeing this is a fairly new cpu how does it oc?

that isnt real multitasking anyway. Those games and what you will be doing on the pc, you wont need more than 1gb of ram. Look for Dual channel kits (2x512mb) of OCZ or Corsair.

IamME said:
That sounds like it will be a nice setup for your needs, but I wouldn't count on it OCing much at all. ECS isn't exactly known for their extreme clocks....

Also, if you plan on buying a 7 series geforce or anything at that level you're probably going to need to replace the PSU as well.

Yeah, unless you are playing new games, or doing some heavy multi tasking, 1gb is fine for memory.

and like hitbyparkedcar said, go with 800mhz for the speed =D

Back