• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T1 prices? I am freaking desperate!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward78

I am so freaking tired of this 56k BS, a wireless ISP is in the area, but they refuse to come out here for some reason. Well they didn't say they refuse to come out here, but apparently they do. One time the guy actually came out here, acted like he would be back, nothing happened!! Then the boss was called he said he would call back, he didn't. So a T1 would be great, I don't want a huge price, but I want good quality. Am I just being stupid? :mad: :mad:

Where do you live? If you live in a city or a largish town, it shouldn't be a big deal. If you live in the middle of no-where your only high-speed option may be satellite. A FYI, satellite, though decent enough speedwise suffers from very, very high latency. T1 is now generally the standard speed, depending on the size of the city. My city has 200,000 people and we have service up to about 8mbps. Most people get 1.5mbps or 5mbps though.

BTW kudos to actually using 56k dialup. I don't think I could possibly handle that.

Full T1 can be a little expensive, so when shopping around, ask about fractional T1. But even then, that can run like a couple hundred dollars per month for that.

I live inthe middle of nowhere, well not like the only house for a mile. So maybe not the middle of nowhere, but not by any means a small town even, just 200ish here. I just want high speed so bad, so I can play games without lag online, If Satalite was even just ok for gaming, I would have it. What makes it so hard is a wireless isp is here, the idiots just don't want to mess with us!!! Our town is on the list for comcast cable internet, but the idiot on the phone was no help!!! :(

Full T1 can be a little expensive, so when shopping around, ask about fractional T1. But even then, that can run like a couple hundred dollars per month for that.

That is no prob. really where can I look online?

Just get cable or DSL. I get 8mbs on cable, which is plenty.

I would if they had it here, but I live in Hicktown USA.

Last edited:
If you could tell us where you live you might be able to get some better help.
PM me if you want to keep it private.

at where i work, the wireless ISP in my town, we're paying like 600/month for our t1. its painful, but we do have 512 IP addys as well. note that a few months ago we renegotiated the contract and got it down a couple hundred $.

and it takes i believe 24 phone lines, so you'll probably have to end up paying sprint/embarq/verizon/att / whoever does it in your local area to string alot of new copper between you and wherever they are, that'll probably be $$$

my work is conveniently located near a sprint office, less than 1/8 mile of copper between here and there. i dont know what else to suggest for ya, other than moving :-/

I'm in the same situation and it sucks. Nearest wireless provider is 15mi north and being in southern indiana, we have lots of hills so no chance of getting a signal. I enjoy the broadband while I'm here at school.

I looked at satellite as we already have directv. Still pretty expensive for what you get.

schnikies79 said:
I'm in the same situation and it sucks. Nearest wireless provider is 15mi north and being in southern indiana, we have lots of hills so no chance of getting a signal. I enjoy the broadband while I'm here at school.

I looked at satellite as we already have directv. Still pretty expensive for what you get.

Yep, the ^&^%$% area is almost flat then a d@mn hill pops up a few 100 feet before the house!!! The owner did get a call he acted like it would work said he would call back that was around 2 weeks ago/

Edward78 said:
Yep, the ^&^%$% area is almost flat then a d@mn hill pops up a few 100 feet before the house!!! The owner did get a call he acted like it would work said he would call back that was around 2 weeks ago/

Just keep calling them. You are a potential customer and they should listen to you. If a company kept blowing me off I wouldn't stop bugging the hell out of them until I got what I wanted. Of course don't be an *** about it, just keep calling. The "don't call us, we'll call you" thing is bull****.

If you got abunch of people in your town together and wrote letters to various telophone and cable companies in your state, they might provide service down there.

Remember, T1 is 1.544Mbs. That's the same as 27 56k connections. So sharing that among lets say with 70 people can give you a worse than 56k speeds. Most people in your town are prolly content with dail up anyways, so you're prolly going to have a hard time funding T1 service out there. I'd say a T1 isn't worth it; just write DSL and cable ISP's and hope they eventually do something.

Oh yeah don't forget about the rest of the equipment you'll need if you order T1 service. Get ready do drop afew thousand on a cisco router and another few thousand on some switches. Not to mention wire.

TempliNocturnus said:
If you got abunch of people in your town together and wrote letters to various telophone and cable companies in your state, they might provide service down there.

Remember, T1 is 1.544Mbs. That's the same as 27 56k connections. So sharing that among lets say with 70 people can give you a worse than 56k speeds. Most people in your town are prolly content with dail up anyways, so you're prolly going to have a hard time funding T1 service out there. I'd say a T1 isn't worth it; just write DSL and cable ISP's and hope they eventually do something.

Oh yeah don't forget about the rest of the equipment you'll need if you order T1 service. Get ready do drop afew thousand on a cisco router and another few thousand on some switches. Not to mention wire.

Thousands?! In that case I would wait. Internet speeds will only get faster with time. By 2010 T1 speeds will be obsolete, or at the very least the cheapest internet available.

man that sux..... i was gettin ****ed at my 5mbps/348kbps cable so i jumped to verizon fios and now im gettin a CONSTANT 15Mbps down and 2 mbps up... and LOVING it

EDIT: whiskey tango foxtrot u cant say beep on these forums but you can say beep, beep, beep

just quit it. -- macklin01 (moderator)

EDIT: Also, you might want to take a look at the signature guidelines. You know you have a problem when your signature is substantially longer than your posts! ;) -- Paul

link: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=58341

/EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious as to why they do not want to provide you service. I also work for a wisp and we just aquired a company and are removing their t-1's as it costs around $1500/mo for them, and that is only two.

Keep in mind that when buying t-1's you can possibly find cheaper t-1's at the expence of service quality.

i WISH fios was available here, id be in for the 30 down 5 up package. and you wouldnt drop thousands necessarily, used cisco 2501 for less than 100, and im guessin a used csu/dsu for less than 100. goodluck configuring it tho lol.

AT&T made us use their router, with their modem plugged to the serial port, so they call the modem and handle configuration. not sure if its extra to have them manage the router and such.

also, my guess on them not getting back with you... they're swamped with people wantin service. if they run anything like my work does, theres only 2 guys who deal with wireless, and one of them is... less able, after a ladder accident.. a year ago tomorrow. basically im the only one who can climb, and being in school makes the situation even worse on time available to isntall. show them you're interested and wanna work with 'em, and will stick with their service. we hate nothing more than installin someone and after 2 months they decide they dont need fast internet, and cancel. or we could impliment contracts i guess.

Just a side-note but do you have cellular service there ?
I haven't used it in a while but I have heard that cellular internet was at half t-1 speeds now ( 512k sym ). That just might be another option for you.

I was in the same boat as you until about a month ago when out of the blue Bellsouth finally boasted the DSL signal to reach my house. What I at one point planned on doing that may help you is a DIY cantenna. From what I found online it's possible with them to send wireless signals over a few miles. So if you can work out a deal with maybe a friend of yours to share his connection with you it may be possible using a cantenna or satalite dish.

Check out Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless has broadband access wherever you are if you have a verizon signal. It is about $80/mo, but may be an option for you. Just need to buy the card for your computer and make sure you have a signal.

Back