• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu Install wont do anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hitbyaprkedcar7

Okay, so i figured id try out some ubuntu action on my HP A705w, so i went to ubuntu, downloaded desktop ISO, burned it, etc. I slapped it into my cd rom drive (well more like placed) booted it up, and it brought me to the Ubuntu install splash. So, i select install ubuntu, and it gives me this loading kernel box, looks like its doign something, and then it just reboots on me. I get the post screen, and then it loads back up into the ubuntu screen. I tried running in graphical mode as well to no avail. Im trying to install this over windows... Do i have to format and start from a clean partition? The most linux experience i have is trying some DSL on my thumb drive, and SSH into my RedHat server. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've had this happen, and never resolved it. I've had pretty bad luck getting Ubuntu to install, which is one of the reasons I've mostly steered clear of it.

There are a couple things you should check though. First of all, when you download the iso file, get the md5 as well and do a checksum to verify the file is not corrupt. Second, make sure when you burn it that you verify that it's a good burn. K3b (the burning program I use) has an option to verify that the image is binary equal to the original.

If it's dying on install still, it's probably one of the utilities designed to probe your system to discern its config automatically. These sometimes just hang, and I don't know a way around it.

Alright. Still cant get it to install. Formmatted the drive, had some official discs shipped to me, and absoutly nothing. WTF. Does ubuntu just not like HP computers? *sigh*

Has any kind of solution been found for this issue? I am having the same problem installing Ubuntu 6.06 Desktop. I have no problems getting to the Ubuntu desktop, but once I click Install, the cursor changes to its busy cursor, and then the system hangs. I can move the mouse cursor around, but get no responce when I click anything. I have checked the disk using the utility that comes on the disk, and also verified the burn in Nero. The system I am having problems with is a PIIIEB 866@988, 320 MB PC100, Asus CUSL2, 10GB Seagate, and 20 GB Fujitsu HDD. I have also tried using the boot parameters that klingens suggested, and still can not get it to install.

There are reports of Ubuntu Dapper not installing on machines with ~256mb ram. Try manually setting up the / and swap partitions first, swapon, and try the install again.

JerMe said:
There are reports of Ubuntu Dapper not installing on machines with ~256mb ram. Try manually setting up the / and swap partitions first, swapon, and try the install again.

Really? Because i only had a stick of 256 in there. BAH.

I gave up and threw XP Pro on there because i needed to get some kind of OS on it.

Thanks though

I had also read about some problems that were found in the Dapper installer. I believe these issues were supposed to be fixed in the newest release, Edgy Eft. It has just recently been released, and I am currently looking for a torrent so that I can download it and see if that will work.

Edit: I just found the torrent. If anyone wants it let me know.

Last edited:
Back